Buying for the long term

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ron Etaylor, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I have a 32 inch direct view (about 10 years old) that looks good, but is not HD, and I'd like something bigger. I'm entertaining the idea of a Sammy DLP at around 4k. The thing is, that would be the most expensive anything I've ever bought other than a house or car. I'm not certain my wife will go for it, but if we pull the trigger, it better be our tv for a LONG time. I dread that I'll drop big bucks on a display device and end up being unhappy with it in less than 5 years(because something better and cheaper comes out). Should I consider something else like a cheaper RPTV? A direct view HDTV? My wife bought our first DVD player for $300+ bucks as a Christmas present for me in '98 and she occasionally mentions how much cheaper they are now. WHAT TO DO?

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Digital display technologies such as DLP and LCD are still in their infancy right now. You can bet that in 5 years, actually much less, there will be big advances in the technology and significant price drops. Right now, CRT RPTVs offer the best bang for the buck. They provide the best overall picture quality, when calibrated, and cost less than digital RPTVs. The bottom line is that, since you mentioned it, you are much more likely to wind up with buyer's remorse down the road with a DLP or LCD RPTV.

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Thanks Heath. Managed to drag the Mrs. to a BB this weekend. For just a moment there was a glimmer of hope, then she saw the 3798 tag on the Sammy DLP. Should I lower my sites and maybe look for something with a price tag that begins with a "2"? This is 99 per cent for DVD's, so HD isn't even important...yet. But "big" is. Should I hold out for another 2-3 years? Thanks.

4. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Ron,

If you wait, you will always find that prices have come down/more features/better performance and whatnot. No matter what you buy, whenever you buy it, you're likely to wind up with at least a bit of remorse.

If form factor is not an issue, then CRT RPTV is not a bad way to go at all - just be diligent in using stretch modes and turn the contrast down. CRT RP gets you the most screen size for your dollar (leaving aside FP).