buying for home theater... decisions....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by tim$$$, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tim$$$

tim$$$ Auditioning

This will be my first post here, but I have done some homework.

I have a Bose system coming from a friend who works for the company, so the audio is not an issue.

The tv however has me boggled. The room is 19 wide by 18 deep. I figure the first row of seats will be about 8 feet from the screen and the second row will be about 14.

There is only one window in the room which will be totally covered up.

What I really want is something that I can mount on the wall for two reasons: One of which is that I like the tv to be a little higher on the wall than most entertainment sets seem to have them, and second of course is the space saving aspect.

I am thinking about a 60", but people tell me to be careful, because that seems big. I have a 50" in my family room that seemed big at first, but now seems like a regular tv. I don't want that to happen.

I am about a week away from making a decision, as my basement theater is about to be painted and the carpet will come in the following week.

lcd, dlp, size... any push one way or another would be apprectiated.

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

What is your budget? Sounds like a projector would be ideal for your room. Do some searches on this forum. Also, be prepared for a lot of people here to try to talk you out of the Bose if you haven't already paid for it. You might want to do a search for "Bose".

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Tim, I agree with Joey, a front projector would be ideal for your setup. The only reason I would say not a front projector, is if this will be your main TV viewing. I have a HT room in basement, 12'X17', with an X1 projector and a 106" screen, and it is GREAT. We use it for ALL DVD's and occasional HDTV. You can get a much bigger screen for less money, and great picture quality. Projectorcentral.com is a great site to learn more about projectors.

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

check out the projector forums on avsforum.com, lots of good info there. I would definitely go with (in fact, I already have) a front projector, especially since your room is completely light controlled. 60" too big?!? hogwash, I wish my 98"er was a little bigger. When planning your screen size, use the 2x width rule. If your primary viewing area is the second row at 14 ft, you can go with a 7'wide screen, that's about 100" diagonal. A FP for a primary viewing display won't be a problem as long as you don't just turn it on, flip through the channels and decide that there's nothing good on. If mine is turned on, it stays on for at least 2 hours. And when it's turned off, it stays off for at least 2 hours. I know it goes against conventional thinking, but alot of people are finding that the bulbs last longer the more you use them, as long as you are not turning off, turning on, turning off, turning on.

my $0.02, anyway

5. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

And there you have it, a front projector (FP) is most likely the route you "should" go. In a dedicated HT room you'll want the biggest image you can get and whatever you do to dress up a TV, it will still look and feel like a TV (unless you can afford the new Samsung 80" er...). In the

6. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Front projection all the way man. From 14 feet a 50 or even 60" will seem small. Be careful, once you go FP you'll have a hard time watching regular TV again.

We have a 104" screen in the basement with rows at 12, 18, and 24 feet.

The living room is a 53" RPTV at 8 to 9 feet.

The basement wins hands down.

Do a FP at about 80 to 92 inches and you'll be thrilled.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just a word of advice: Only rarely reference threads and attractions at other home theater-related Websites. Thank you.

8. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Might I suggest, then, that HTF expand the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors) forum into 3 or more categories. Example, General - for general display questions (newbies not knowing what their needs are), Projectors, Plasma/LCD/DLP Displays, and Regular TV (tubes, rear projection).

The difficulty is that all display devices is too broad a topic to develop critical mass of knowledge and discussion. Projector queries are very differenct from Plasma screen queries.

The reason for mentioning other websites above is the discussion topic is more specific to the need and therefore more detailed.

JB

9. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John, I have also referenced avs for HTPC discussion simply because the HTPC forum here has basically nothing to do with HTPC, and only basic PC discussion. Having said that, Tim, to REALLY do that new FP that you are going to buy justice, look into setting up a pc to do scaling/post processing, and you will be near heaven.

My HTPC to Sanyo Z2 is the envy of everyone who sees it, and I am starting to sway people to the world of HTPC and FPs just about everytime someone new comes over for a visit.

food for thought, they are definitely not "plug-n-play" and you will forever be tinkering, tweaking, and pushing the envelope on a regular basis, but without spending tens of thousands of dollars on post processing equipment, you just can't touch the image quality.

10. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Agree with the above for your situation. Though you mentioned DLP/LCD, if you were referring to the rear projection units available, I don't believe any can be wall mounted easily (if at all). The only other choice would be plasma and at 60" you'll have to take out a second mortgage at the minimum.

Mort