What's new

Buying floor-model DLP RPTV: about to take the plunge (1 Viewer)

Ok, here it goes. I'm gonna buy my dealer's Piano Plus HE-3100 demo unit. I'm calling this morning to double check and make sure that I'm going to get the full manfacture's warrantee and stuff, but if so, I'm gonna go pick it up this afternoon. Just wanted to ask a couple last minute questions. If you can answer any of them for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1) Burn in. DLP can't burn in right? So I'll be safe playing many hours of XBOX on it?

2) Do DLP chips ever get "stuck mirrors"? I know that LCD can have pixels go bad or get stuck. Is this an issue with DLP?

What issues are there as far as wear and tear go? I know that the bulb has a life expectancy of ~1000 hours, but is there anything else that I should either look for or protect against to ensure that my Piano has a long and happy life?

Also, what do you guys think of the deal I'm getting? The unit sells new for $2699 new, and I'm getting it for $2300 plus tax ($2461). The unit probably hasn't been used much, as he does even have it installed usually, I had to call and have him break it out of the box. I'm going to check the timer the unit keeps on how long it has been run...what should I expect, what number of hours would be too high?

Thanks for all the help you guys have been.

Pete

OMG. I just got a call from my authorized dealer and he told me he got an email TODAY from Plus that said they are moving the 3100's in 2-3 weeks for $1899!!!!!!!!! OMG. I was leaving to get ripped off in like an hour when I got the call. I then preceded to dance aroudn our office.
If you want an AWESOME deal on a really decent projector, call your Plus dealer today. :D

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
That is a good deal! Maybe next year when the 3200 goes down to the same price, I will get back into front projection. But to answer your question, DLPs don't suffer from burn-in. They do suffer from stuck mirrors. This is not as common as the dead pixel phenomonen in LCD units, but isn't exactly rare either. With all my readings of the NEC LT150 (which I owned until Saturday), I have only read of two instances of this happening. And there are a ton of LT150s floating around.

You should have no problem. Good luck and do let us know how it goes with the 3100.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,
You should be glad that your dealer had the integrity to call you about the price reduction instead of allowing you to get "ripped off". Luckily, not all dealers are sharks waiting for chum to show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks