What's new

Buying DVD's Online (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
What are the name of some online retailers for DVD's. Looking for a good sight that has upcoming releases and good reputation. The only one I know of so far is DV-Depot. Their prices seem to be kind of high though, but not so bad. But isn't it Canadian? Any good ones in the US?

Also questions. How can you tell wheather the DVD's will play in your DVD player. I know soem of the ones from the UK won't play in mine due to there region. Is Canada the same way. And I thought LOTR was being released on the 6th. How is it that DV-Depot says there in stock ready to be shipped?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
If you go to http://www.dvdpricesearch.com there you will see a list of all the "Major" online stores that sell DVDs. Not only that, but it will also compare the prices for you, that way you know you're getting the best deal at said store.
Next to the store's name, you will see a stars. The costomer's have rated this store on how their experience with them was, so I consider it pretty reliable. I never buy anything from a store that has less than 3 stars, just in case.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
We have a whole separate forum devoted to Vendors. I'm moving this thread there.

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
How can you tell wheather the DVD's will play in your DVD player. I know soem of the ones from the UK won't play in mine due to there region. Is Canada the same way.
Bill, I'm presuming you have a Region 1 (U.S. and Canada) player. This would only play those DVDs encoded as Region 1 NTSC or Region 0 (which is all region). Canadian DVDs are Region 1, so can play in U.S. players. There are some interesting Canadian exclusives not available in the U.S.

I usually order from DVD Planet, Barnes & Noble (expensive unless they have a current coupon, but very dependable), and DeepDiscountDVD. DeepDiscountDVD is having major site problems right now after upgrading, so I would wait until they straighten it out.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
my experience so far has been thus:
DDD
Deep Discount DVD (DDD)
pros
-cheapest price 99% of the time
-i never order online, i just get the phone # from the website and order over the phone (their # has since been programmed into my cell phone)
Cons
-have screwed up a couple of my orders, boxed sets arrived damaged, wrong version of certain titles packaged, etc.
in their defense though, they were very easy to deal with in rectifying all these problems, but still it was annoying.
- don't always have the largest selection
DVDplanet
pros
- awesome selection
cons
a little bit more expensive than DDD and they charge shipping per disc.
can't remember having any problems with DVDPlanet.
i would also recommend for R4, EZYDvd.
haven't had any problems with them yet, great service, relativly quick shipping, and very good prices.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
My last big DVD purchase was with alldirect.com. 8 DVD's for $189... mostly older DVD's which never go on sale locally (i.e Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai). Unfortunately, it went by US Postal and was never delivered. Alldirect did re-ship via UPS after their standard 3 week waiting period for undelivered merchandise, and I received it with no other problems. One of the best online prices... the majority of my Yahoo shopping searches for the DVD's I ordered had alldirect.com as #1 or #2.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
DVD Empire is the best, IMO. Cheap and reliable shipping. For pre-orders, Paramount, Fox, MGM and Sony titles are 35% off. Also a great, I mean great, pre-order manager. If a titles you have in a order with numerous discs suddenly gets pushed back a few weeks, a few clicks and you can put that title in a order you have going out in a few weeks.

Con: Box sets tend to only be 20% off on pre-orders, same with titles from somewhat obscure companies, like Trimark or Hens Tooth

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I used to use DVD Empire. Great site. Awesome control over your orders. Never a problem. DDD then seduced with their lowest 99% of the time prices. Now, I'm kind of biding my time with them since their system is still kinked up. DVD Empire now has free shipping with 4 titles, so that helps equalize the prices a bit. I may try them again soon. Empire is far, far better than the 3 stars it gets at DVD pricesearch.com. DVD Planet is best for Criterions.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks