Buying DVD's Online VS Buying from Retailers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hector de leon, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Hector de leon

Hello, I was curious to know what the difference was between buying a new DVD title from a retailer "the day it comes out" VS pre-ordering it online? When you pre-order a DVD, do you get the dvd the day it comes out, ahead of time, etc.

thanx in advance.

2. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

It depends on where you live, the online retailer and the shipping method you use. I live in the Chicagoland area, I usually use DVD Empire, and I ship with 'Priority Mail'. I tend to get my DVDs the day before they are released in the stores. I also pay a little less than I would at the store. (Unless Best Buy is having a great sale which they tend to do on release week.)

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You should get it by the day it comes out, unless you order from Amazon that only ships on street date. Many etailers ship the discs the Friday or Saturday before street so that they get it to your approx on Tuesday

It used to be you got mad discounts online, but now the prices are pretty much even with B&Ms. Most people still do it for convienience.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Online retailers usually offer a variety of shipping methods. I use www.dvdempire.com and they ship their new releases on Friday (normally). I have never used anything but Priority mail, but if you chose Overnight, you should get the movie on Saturday. Again, I've not used Overnight so I can't vouche for that. Either way, using online vendors is the best way to get the film before street date, even if it's a one day difference. Price is pretty comparable once you add in shipping costs.
    Bruce

5. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

The break on the price really adds up when you purchase more than one movie I've noticed. And if you don't mind waiting a little longer for your movies, use the Media Mail option if it's available to you. Media Mail is much cheaper when it comes to shipping, but you wait longer for your product. Like Jeff said I use online e-tailers for convienience, and you still can get "mad deals" out there, you just need to know where to look. (DVD Empire still has great deals in my opinion.)

6. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I prefer my local non-chain B&M that consistently breaks the street date. As an example, I received Training Day on 3/8 but it's not scheduled for release until 3/19. I paid 19.99 + tax which turns out less than most online stores.

When I do buy online, I usually purchase from deepdiscountdvd.com but (ex: Training Day would cost $19.50 shipped) I wouldn't receive it until after the street date due to the free media mail shipping.

Ocassionally, when I can stack some Gift Certificates for surveys I've completed, I'll buy from Amazon.com.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It does have its ups and downs.

As they said above, you could get them on Monday with Priority Mail, but don't expect that in December. Also, if you did ship overnight, I don't think they'd send it out until Monday.

I try to order 5 or 6 at a time and have them ship together, which does save a lot on the shipping costs, but you need to beware of their availability too.

A case in point: I ordered 2 of the "Road" movies from DvdEmpire a few weeks ago, along with some others. When they ship out on Friday, you get an email stating that they are on the way. I didn't get one.

This would mean that either the street date was changed or they were out of one of the titles. Going on line to check doesn't help. You see, if a title comes out next Tuesday, it hasn't been released yet, and you cannot find that out until the next Tuesday.

In this case they ran out of two of the ones that I had ordered, but they got more in on Wednesday and I got them on Friday. You cannot check their site on Monday either, because they haven't reached their 'street date' yet. No, this doesn't happen very often, but it does.

It is nice to have either someone at home or a secure mailbox that they will fit into also, to avoid theives. There is no money back on USPS Priority Mail.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been doing this for years. I'm well over 400 titles, and rarely use B&M's.

Glenn