Buying dvd online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis A, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I'm going to start ordering my dvd's online since I absolutely hate driving to BB (even though I get a disc. there) to pick these up. Does anybody have any suggestions of who to go with and who to avoid? Any info would be great. Thanks, L

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

3. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use Deep Discount DVD and DVD Empire for almost all my online purchases. I rarely purchase titles in B&M stores, since I prefer the convenience of online shopping.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Most of my purchases have been from DVDEmpire.com and Amazon.com. I've been satisfied with both.
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

6. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

I always used to use DVD Empire but changed recently to The Lasers Edge to support Forum advertisers.
    I've found both excellent. Empire is a little cheaper but Laser charges less to ship over here.
    ------------------
    stewart

7. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I have used Lasers Edge for nearly 5 years with 99% on time shipment and zero errors. Over 1500 DVDs and many Laser Discs prior to DVD. See there banner ad on Home Theater Forum. Excellent service and dependability and they stock nearly everthing. I pre-order 90% of what I buy and they always deliver.
    http://www.lasersedge.com

8. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Thanks for the quick response guy's. I just ordered my first online dvd from deep disc. so I'll see how it goes. My main concern is getting them either on or before street date, I hate to get dvd's late. Thanks again, L [​IMG]

9. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Thanks for the quick response guy's. I ordered my first online dvd from deep discount so I'll see how it goes. My main concern is getting shipment on or before streetdate since I hate to get dvd's after everyone else. Thanks again. L [​IMG]

10. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Luis: I order quite a bit from Deep Discount Dvd - very reliable, very cheap; however, if street date is your overriding concern, they often miss. I'd try Dvd Empire or Digital Eyes for the best combination of price, street date and service.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on October 23, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

12. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Also, http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdhtml2
    offers a comparison engine to let you see total cost of a multiple DVD purchase including shipping.
    'Course it doesn't include all the sites recommended here, but it gives a fair sample.
    ------------------
    --RR

13. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Thanks again everyone. [​IMG]
    L

14. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I've been a regular DeepDiscountDVD buyer for almost a year now. They used to never make street dates, but it looks like they have realized that they were missing out on sales because of this fact. Most of my preorders now show up on Monday before the street date.
    I must say that street date has never been a concern of mine. I just don't care because I rarely watch a movie when it comes in. So, if street date is your overriding factor, then I'd probably choose another vendor.
    DDD does seem to have the cheapest price around on Criterions though. I don't think anyone else comes close to the $28.56 which includes their free shipping.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

15. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I did notice DDD has some of the best prices, and I have ordered a few titles from them recently. I guess I'm not going to be such a "hard ass" about getting my dvd on or before street date, and just be content that I don't have to drive down to Best B. I also cancelled my membership @ Blockbuster over the whole Mummy Returns,Cats and Dogs thing. I will be careful who I buy from, and I will not buy from a company that does not support OAR. That said, I don't want to go to far off subject. Thanks for everybodys help, L [​IMG]

16. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

DVDEmpire is the only way to go IMHO.
    Shipping is very reasonable.
    And if you have it set to ship whenever, I've always gotten my DVDs the day OF or BEFORE via US Priority Mail.
    I've probably purchased at least 85% of my collection from them.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Have you looked in the Retail and Wholesale Vendors Feedback forum? Lots of reports on various etailers there.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 25, 2001 at 11:22 AM]

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been pre-ordering the "non-blockbusters" from e-tailers. Usually, B & M stores will price the blockbuster movies as a loss leader, like The Phantom Menace and probably Shrek.
    Even with Media Mail, I usually get DVDs from DVD Empire and DeepDiscountDVD by street date. It really depends how close you are from the shipping point warehouse.

19. Carl Walker

Carl Walker Stunt Coordinator

I have to disagree with the people who say that Deep Discount DVD doesn't get movies to you by street date...
    I have always gotten my preorders from them by the Friday before street date. However, realize that I always choose their $3.95 Priority shipping option. This is a great deal if you preorder several movies at once. Regardless of how many separate shipments are required to fill your order, you are only charged $3.95 once. Therefore, if you preorder 8 movies, the shipping only averages out to around .50 per movie!
    Oh, and FYI, I just received my shipping notice for Shrek!!!!!!!!. Guess I will have it by no later than Monday [​IMG]

20. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

All my DVD are brought online, if price is your only criteria, you need to shop around a little, as I don't think there is one sinlge place that ALWAYS has the lowest price, iow, one place may have the best price for a couple of DVD you want, another place may have better price on other ones.
    Off hand, I do a lot of my DVD business with Amazon and 800.com. Amazon's price is GENERALLY higher, but the service is best. One time I had about $100 of DVDs that UPS tracking claimed was delivered and accepted, but were not, when I notified Amazon via email, while the matter is still under investigation, they IMMEDIATELY sent me a replacement set via 2 day express, I was pretty impressed.