Buying DVD-A just for the DD&DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I do not have a DVD-A player as of yet but am starting to by DVD-A discs just for the DTS and DD 5.1 and some day will be able to play the DVD-A tracks. Are many others here doing the same? I know $22. is a big price to pay compared to $14 for CDs but what the heck. Has any one here really compared the DD and DTS tracks to the DVD-A to see if there is much difference.

Another question for you all, are the DTS CD's a thing of the past or is DTS just going to piggy back onto the DVD-A discs instead of CD?

Wes

2. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

It's not official, but it's safe to say stand alone DTS CD are toast. There's just no point to releasing them anymore, so the best bet will be DTS piggy-backed onto DVD-Audio disc.

DTS Entertainment's (the part of the compnay in charge of releasing CD's & DVD-Audio discs) future is highly questionable. Since DVD-Audio and SACD are here, the major record labels are no longer willing to licence out product to DTS.

...It doesn't help that their distributor, Valley Media filled for chapter 11 right before Thanksgiving either.

Daniel L

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I bought Metallica Black thinking if the DD blew away the CD version then DVD audio would be worth getting into. Now i'm buying discs to listen to in DD and trying to wait out a player that will play DVD audio and SACD.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wes,

DTS is supporting DVD-Audio at present, but is also developing its own 24/96 format. I haven't read up on this new format to know what type of equipment will be required to play it or how it will differ from 24/96 DVD-Audio sonically. The Queen A Night at the Opera disc coming out from DTS Entertainment on January 15th supposedly will have 24/96 stereo DVD-Audio, 24/96 5.1 DVD-Audio, and 24/96 5.1 DTS tracks. As I said, I don't know how one can play the DTS track.

Bobby,

So what was your conclusion? Do you feel the Dolby Digital track on the Metallica disc beats the CD? If so, I'd be amazed. Being a lossy compressed format, Dolby Digital in most implementations is poor for music. I have the Metallica DVD-Audio disc, but have only listened to the DVD-Audio track.

5. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I have a DVDA player on order (hopefully it will get here before my hair turns completely white) and got 4 DVDA's from Ken Cranes.

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Pat Metheney - Imaginary Day

George Benson - Breezin'

Olu Dara - Neghborhods

I have Spectrum and Breezin' on vinyl and my analog rig (such that it is) is in a different room so it is hard to get an impression. Both of these are from older (1970's) masters and plainly show their age.

Neighborhoods in DD 5.1 sounds much worse than the CD. It sounds as though it was an afterthought or included to meet some specification.

Imaginary Day uses the surrounds intelligently and sounds pretty good. The CD sounds better but it is two channel and looses some of the psychoacoustical effect (interesting that the psycho part is often overlooked when discussing audio qualities of XYZ). I enjoyed listening to more than the CD even though the CD was smoother and the frequencies were more extended. Just my impressions.

At any rate, I can't wait until my DVD-A arrives. I'll only be able to listen to two channel for a few months but I want to see if there is an appreciable difference.

rw

6. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I've spent most of the day listening to the four disks closely. The 5.1 tracks are inferior as far as sound is concerned (IMHO). The mixes are a different story and I still don't know if I prefer true multi-channel to stereo.

If the quality of the sound is most important and you are not thinking of buying a DVD-A player, then buy the CD.

rw

7. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Wes ... I have been down the same road as you so to speak
    I started buying DVD-A discs B4 I had a DVD-A player and thought the DD5.1 (or DTS in some cases) that any DVD player can access on a DVD-A sounded really good ...
    Many people told me then that the difference from the DD5.1 to the DVD-A mix was "light night & day" and whilst I would not go that far I have to say that the DVD-A mix compared to the DD5.1 is just a different league ...
    I have just bought the Eagles Hotel California DVD-A and whilst not a great package the mix is fantastic (this disc has a 192mhz (?) stereo track (not the usual 96mhz ?) so the "purists" who like stereo only will be equally gobsmacked !!!
    BTW the above disc was 24$CAN from www.absound.ca how does that compare with what U R paying ? Paul