Buying Carpet is a pain! Any advise?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Randy Tennison, May 25, 2004.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    We are going to recarpet our house. The dog has basically ruined our current carpet (very cheap, put in by the previous owner), and because we are adopting a child from Russia, we don't want that child crawling around on nasty carpet.

We went to a local carpet store, and they came in with a bid of $4000.00 for our 3 bedroom home. Seemed a bit high for our 1400 square foot house, and of course, he wouldn't let us see how he measured the house. The carpet was a "private label" carpet, meaning they peeled the original label off, and put their own on.

Then, we went to another place, and they are showing us a Mohawk Horizon carpet, made from P.E.T., which is recycled plastic bottles. The information on the net says this is decent carpet (not the best, not the worst), and that it should do well. It's very thick, and feels nice. Plus, it's about $1.00 less a square foot then what we looked at originally.

Anyone have any experience buying carpet? Any advice, what to look for, look out for, etc.

2. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Randy, I just went through that a couple of weeks ago. For the exact same reasons; Dog, 1 year old and old carpet.

Our house is 1600 sq' and it cost us a tad under $4000.00.

We didn't buy the best either. We are planning on moving in a couple of years so we didn't wanna get something too expensive, but we didn't wanna wait because it was gross and we like to have people over and we wanted to enjoy it for a bit too instead of doing it right before we sell. We chose a med. grade carpet and then got a better pad. That way it's comfortable to walk on. We also got stuff that felt soft to our hands not scratchy. Ask about the stain and wear warranties too. We had to watch a video on up-keep to keep our warranty "valid". We picked out some really nice stuff and then the sales lady helped us find a cheaper version. We also saved several hundred by tearing out our old carpet ourselves, (super easy, took less than a day), and moved our own furniture (that sucked. Get help)

If you are planning on staying in your house for a while (5+) then I would go for the better stuff and enjoy it, instead of shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Hope that helped. Good luck!

3. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I would definetly shop around, find a couple different brands/styles/colors you like and call around, find out how many yards you need. I would also consider calling directly to a dealer in Dalton, GA (Carpet capital of the world) this is where most of the manufacturers are located. My parents bought carpet at a 50% price savings (including shipping to TX) for the exact same carpet. This savings comes with a couple of requirements on your end, the carpet comes via a freight truck if you have it delivered to your house you will need help unloading it. And you must find your own installer locally. If you can move out your furniture and remove the existing carpet it will save you even more money. Here is a website for the company I think my parents bought from:

http://amsquare.com/carpet/

In any case there are literally hundreds of dealers in Dalton call a bunch of them, some will even help you setup an installer in your local area.

4. Randy Tennison

Randy
    I've actually been to Dalton this year on business. It's kind of a running joke in my office: "The Carpet Capital".

If you're ever in Dalton, don't stay at the Holiday Inn!

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Buying Carpet is a pain! Any advise?"

YEP, hardwood floors!

had too[​IMG]

Brent

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Head to Lowes or Home Depot. They usually have better deals on carpet and flooring than most independent places. We've use Lowes and Home Depot in the past for some home improvement projects and it has always worked out pretty well.

7. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

If you go with Home Depot, keep in mind they subcontract the installation to independent installers (I'm not sure about Lowes). This means the quality of installation can vary widely.

-Mike

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My former roommate owned a house and had it redone by Home Depot(carpet wise) and they did a fantastic job. The price was alot cheaper than most places and the work they did was great. I don't remembering his house costing more than $3k to have it totally installed but it's been a few years.
    Yeah, more pain and more expensive. They are not dog proof either.

9. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

One more nice word about Home Depot... they subcontract the work, but guarantee it themselves. As you might imagine, this arrangement works out well for the customer. The subcontractors don't want to lose the Home Depot cash cow. I've had my house carpeted by HD twice in the last ten years - no complaints.

Randy, It appears as though your guy was kinda shady. He wouldn't let you see how he measured the house? What gives? "Private label" sounds like a scam to me. [​IMG]

10. Randy Tennison

Randy
    Dave,

From what I've read, it's not unusual for them to keep their measurments hidden at the "quote" phase.

Also, the "private label" carpet is very common with the chain stores. They peel the factory label, put on their own, and thus, you cannot shop "apples for apples" on them, as you won't find that name carpet.

I looked at Home Depot and Lowes, but am not sure on them, as the work is sub contracted out. I want to be able to complain to the person who did the work, not have to wait for them to call the contractor, only to find out they don't deal with that contractor any longer because they did bad work, etc.

The company I am looking at has their own installers, has been around for decades, and is willing to work with us on some issues (for example, I want to have the carpet removed, and then take a day to Kilz the floor board. None of the others wanted to work with me on this).

I'm about 90% convinced to go with Burlington Carpet Warehouse, with the Mohawk Horizon P.E.T. carpet. The way I see it, it's a lot cheaper, and even if it only lasts 7 years, I can recarpet again in 7 years, and still be about even for what a high quality nylon carpet would cost.

11. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I spent $5000 on recarpeting my entire home and guess what I am doing now – getting quotes for hardwood floors. Carpet, not only get worn, especially in high traffic areas, but retains many of the particles that cause allergies, i.e. dust, pollen, bacteria, dog hair….. They are also pretty bad if you have children with asthma which seems to be more prevalent as time goes by.

Wood floors will also retain the value of a home longer than carpet and to change around a room you simply throw down a few new rugs and pesto – instant change!

If you do a search on the net you will always find dealers with sales and values on different types of hardwood or laminate flooring. You can win with laminate too, because not only is it harder and more resilient than hardwood, but it is cheaper and comes with a vapour barrier.

I would bite the bullet on this one. My quote came in just under 50% more than carpet, and my carpet is in “rough” shape after less than two years. I wish I had a crystal ball, because we all know we would love to have another $5,000 to play around with!!

12. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Wood floor will be in my house whenever I'm able to find one I like. Kitchen maybe tile and HT room possibly carpet. Wood is still work though, you have to polish and re-varnish it, frequency depends on the usage but not nearly as often as changing carpet. Easier to keep clean, looks and feels great.

As for dogs, they aren't a problem other than a few rolled rugs now and then. My parents have two of my dogs and there isn't carpet anywhere in the house, mostly wood. It actually calms them down a little because they know once you step out of the rug, friction isn't as good for paws.

I haven't seen whole floor carpet in a Finnish house since the early 80's. People got rid of them because of the allergy factor. I'm sure it has gotten better in the 20 or so years but people haven't seen any reason to go back really. I was suprised to see two things in use here still; the other was carpet and the second was checks. [​IMG]

Wood is definately worth considering, especially if you can do the work yourself as I am planning.

13. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Carpet is not a good idea if your going to have a baby soon. The baby will puke, spill food and dirty the carpet in ways you can only imagine right now and some you can't. Do hardwood or laminate with area rugs and no rugs in the dining room. You will be much happier.

14. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Yep...that is the main reason I am replacing my carpet with wood flooring, my second child has a quite an arsenal of projectile vomitting which doesn't miggle too well with my carpet.

Should have gone with my gut on this one the first time!

15. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Randy:

Are you working with Burlington Carpet, LLC? They installed carpet in portions of my house and did a pretty good job. I purchased the carpet elsewhere (UCC Total Home).

$4000 for 1400 square feet including removal would indicate a pretty low-level carpet. I paid approximately that price, but it did not include removal. I had a high-quality carpet installed - but got a great price on the carpet.

If you would be interested in hardwoods - I am having that done in the next month for a portion of the house and it will cost about $7.00/sqft for oak.

Randy, if you are interested in joining a meet at my house - see this post: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197821

Good Luck,
    Mike

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I find the pesto makes a bit of a mess... [​IMG]

I had no problems with Home Depot's installers. As was mentioned earlier, they don't want to screw up a big client, so should do good work. If not, Home Depot will get it fixed.

17. Randy Tennison

Randy
    Thanks for all the advice. However, I've really never liked hardwood floors. I don't have a good reason for it. I've just really never thought they were anything special. And $7.00 a sq ft is way out of our budget.

Mike, yes I think it's the same place (on Burlington in North Kansas City?). We are trying to keep the price down, as the adoption is costing us a fortune! I just want new carpet when the child gets there, as the current carpet is pretty gross.

18. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    It's been 20 years, but I used to install carpet and my uncle use to own a carpet store - and all I can say is watch your back, as the carpet business is up to its eyeballs in shysters!

I wouldn't trust anyone who refuses to show me how they're measuring. It was common practice to over measure sq yds. Usually the extra just got thrown away; but it makes it easier for a bad installer, they can make rougher cuts and allow for more mistakes. In the worst cases it got used for remnants.

As someone already pointed out, if you are trying to save money the best bet is to get the carpet from a wholesaler yourself and either install it yourself or contact an installer directly. If your rooms are less than 12 feet wide it's really easy to do it yourself. Seams on the running edge are easy. (One note, the better the carpet, the easier it is to make a good seam.) Wider than 12 feet you have to make side seams and that can be frustrating. The big exception is stairs, which are a b*tch! Oh, and installing on cement (using tackless strip) is not a job for the easily frustrated.

If you get an installer on your own just wait until you have a neighbors house done well and get their name. Almost all installers work on the side because the cash is so good. If you are trying to race the adoption that might present a problem.

And now for my opinion - hardwood floors stink! They're hard and loud. When that new baby falls I'd rather have the nice padded floor there than the hard floor. As for stains, what thek are all of you feeding your newborns that stains treated carpet?

19. Randy Tennison

Randy
    I don't want my newly adopted child to wear a shirt that says:

My parents went all the way to Moscow, and all I got was some cheap carpet!

Thanks for the advice, Al. But, there is no way I would try to install myself. It's worth the money to have someone else do it. I'm having enough fun painting the interior (although painting when you don't care about the carpet is not too bad!)

20. Randy Tennison

Randy
    An update for everyone.

I ended up buying at Home Depot. The guy at Burlington Carpet Warehouse ended up adding a bunch of fees and charges to the price, which made the deal not so good. We found a 10% off coupon at Home Depot, so we ended up getting some Shaw carpet there.

I have decided that I would rather buy a used car, and take a kick to the jewels, than shop for carpet again. It sucked! But at least, the shopping is over.