What's new

Buying car w/in 30 days - maybe Highlander.... (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I know it's basically a Camry station wagon, but that's pretty much what I need: Reliable transportation with decent gas mileage that can do minimal hauling of large, yet lightweight items (sail bags). Plus I like how it rides a bit higher than most mid-level station wagons.

My only concern is that I'll never be able to find it in a parking lot.... mixed in with all the other lemmings.

Thinking of the 4 Cyl, Front Wheel Drive since I will never take it off-road and my budget is low 20s. Wondering how the Front Wheel drive does in snow.

Anyone in AH own one ? How's the base sound system ? We own a Sienna CE (base) and the factory sound is pretty poor. What's the best after-market upgrade ?

Thanks !

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I once owned the biggest selling mid-size sedan with the most popular color--'98 Camry in Antique Sage Pearl.

I could not walk out of Costco without seeing at least 3 or 4 copies of my car in the lot without having to turn my head.

Get an alarm that chirps when you hit the remote, with a decent range and you can spare yourself the embarassment of trying to unlock the wrong car after a shopping trip.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I own the same car, except it's a 2001. About 2 months ago, I went to meet a guy at the local Starbucks for a sale of my NHT SB2. To cut a long story short, by the time I got to the small Starbucks parking lot, there were at least 5 similarly-colored Camrys there. And the guy who was buying my speakers also show up in one of them. :D

I believe Steve highly recommends the 4 cylinder, 2WD Highlander.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
How about the very reasonably priced, but well equipped Hyundai Santa Fe? My wife and I are hoping to get one early next year. Very smooth/ comfortable ride and lots of creature comforts. Plus cheaper than a Toyota with a much longer warranty and great reliability.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Good point Alf, especially as Hyundai has some great end-of-model year pricing going on.

While I do have some reservations against Hyundai in general (I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and my previous Toyota's have run forever), I do owe the Santa Fe a test drive. I gotta admit my reservations are based on much older models and the stigma of owning a Hyundai. I know, a bogus emotional response....

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have an AWD V6 2003 Highlander. It has been fantastic so far. It drives more like a car than an SUV. I would caution you regarding the smaller engine. The V6 is fantastic. It really helps to have the added power to pass on the highway as well as when you are in the snow. It does well in snow but it's not as good as my other car. I am comparing it to a Ford Explorer which does extremely well in the snow. I think the Highlander would do better with different tires in the snow because it seems to slip around a little. I do not have traction control either. I believe it's standard on all models and IMO it would help the FWD version quite a bit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I too have been in the market for an SUV(or a truck but I'm now pretty much locked into the SUV market).

If you will allow me a moment, I've driven more than a few recently and here are my impressions:

My 2 major concerns/needs are Power and Reliability. I'm trying to keep an open mind a bit.

Honda CRV - Not enough power and the looks don't do it for me. Overall I found better out there.

Honda Pilot - Granted this is a $29k SUV but it is outstanding. It rides a bit too high for me. It isn't as ergonomic as I would like. Loads of power. Just alot of interior stuff/ergonomics that bother me. It does fit my 2 main criteria though.

Lexus RX: would be a used one of course(01). The best ride you will ever find for an SUV. Baby smooth and quiet. Enough power for its size. Overall a top a notch performer and Toyota/Lexus reliability to boot.

Chevy Equinox: Ample power. Nice Ride. Nice interior. Not a bad truck at all in fact a stellar one but reliability is a concern(new truck too). If reliable should be a contender.

Toyota Highlander: Smooth smooth smooth. This is not a truck though and drives much like a Camry which its based on. Overall mucho impressive.

Toyota 4 Runner: The best IMHO at around the 30k range. The heating/ac controls are kinda odd though.

Hyundai Santa Fe: was impressed only due to my low expectations. Nice fit and finish. Not enough power IMHO. 3.5L V6 190hp?? Needs about 40 more IMHO.

Xterra: Truck based. Ride is a little rough(supposedly fixing that in 2005). Ok power but they are fixing that too in 2005. I look forward to the 2005 Xterra.

Kia Sorento: Nice Fit and Finish(suprisingly really). Ample power. A bit overpriced if you get the EX V6 if you need the nicities.

Jeep Liberty: didn't drive this one but I felt it was lacking in alot of areas even before I took it out. Just left the lot.

Mazda Tribute: Nice nice SUV. Feels lighter when you drive it than the Santa Fe. Better fit and finish IMHO.

Right now I'm leaning towards a used(2003) 4 Runner. If I wanted a car like SUV like the Highlander, I'd lean towards a used Lexus RX. I saw several for 20k with 30k miles(nothing for a Toyota). Granted this isn't apples and apples but I think you get more for your $$ than the others. If you are locked into a new one, the Tribute is worth a look. The Equinox suprised me but I fear it won't last. Maybe this new attitude change at GM will be what they needed.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Have you considered a Subaru Outback2.5i wagon? You won't lose your car in a Walmart parking lot!

Starts at 25K (auto): 2.5L boxer 4 engine good for 168hp/166lbft. Won't win races but good for gas, which is what you're looking for. The all-wheel drive is a blessing.
I had a 2000 Legacy and it was awesome in the winter (we Canucks know winter) with a good set of winter tires. It had better build/fit/finish than the comparable Accord and Camry. The boxer engine was smooth.

If you can pony up 4K more, you can get the turbo (250hp/250lbft) and race Porsche Boxsters and Audi TTs while carrying your sail bags! How many SUVs/wagons under 30K can do that? :)

Check out www.subaru.com. Every car has AWD and their Forester starts at $21K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks