What's new

Buying car in Canada for USA? (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

I know many HTFers go to Canada to buy Paradigm speakers, etc. How about buying cars in Canada? Is it practical, and would there be significant savings? I ask because I'm looking at the Subaru Impreza TS wagon (automatic)...this has an MSRP of about US$18,820 here and CA$22,995 in Canada. Even if we add 15% GST/PST to the Canadian price, can one still save money given current exchange rates?

Thanks,

Joe

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You would have to call customs and ask whether there are any import duties to be paid bringing it back. The GST should be redeemable, saving you another 7%. You will also need to ask about insurance and vehicle registration costs, since you won't be able to leave the lot without it.

I'd also ask the manufacturer about warranty coverage. Also, the online converters will only give you a rough idea of the exchange rate, since it varies significantly depending on how the transaction is made, and whether you are buying or selling. Most are interbank rates which you will never see in the normal course of business. Still, $23,000 CAN is well under $15,000 US at a 160% exchange, so even if there are added costs, you will probably save.

James Slade

Second Unit
I don't know the details but my friend who lives in Boston just did exactly this. His girlfriend lives in Ottawa and while he was here he bought the car and drive it back. He said he saved enough money to make it worth his time.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Sometimes the savings can be quite a bit. I believe the best price you could get for the car I just purchased in the states was $3000 USD more than what I paid here in Canada taking into account the exchange rate. And, I didn't bargain extremely hard either.

Patrick

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I have never purchased a car in the US but I have had my Canadian purchased GM mini van repaired in the US under warranty. When I took the van in there was zero talk about the vehicle not being repaired under warranty. Obviously you should check into this before you buy but I doubt the warranty will be an issue (it is not like you can buy a new vehicle from an non-authorized Dealer).

Chris

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
www.edmunds.com
Quite a few folks with 2001 and now 2002 Nissan Pathfinder's - do exactly what you described! Buy in Canada...drive back to the US. I nearly did it myslef...but couldn't at the time I bought my 2001 PF.
If you visit edmunds.com' NISSAN PATHFINDER discussion - look for posts by a guy named: lofquist or Jon - he can hook you up. He primarily knows how to purchase Nissan's in Canada - but he also has instructions for what happens at the border w/ customs and what have you.
By going to:
www.edmunds.com
-TOWN HALL
-OWNER'S CLUBS
-NISSAN OWNERS CLUB
-NISSAN PATHFINDER CLUB
-Nissan Pathfinder Main Comment Area - IX
look for lofquist or Jon or Buying in Canada posts - instructions should be listed or you may have to email him
Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks