What's new

Buying B&W Speakers - What Would You Do??? (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
"I've auditioned several Krell amplifiers, two Macs, and a buddy's BAT. My favorite so far is the BAT 6200(?), but it is a bit out of my price range and a tough amp to find used."

Jeramy, I agree, I auditioned a pair of 804s on that amp and WOW was I impressed, I just hope my Marsh sound design a400s will be close. I think BAT is now out of bussiness though (at least that is what the dealer told me).

"P.S. For what it's worth I too think there are better speakers than B&W but as pointed out above, that is not the focus of this thread."

Gee, here we go again, maybe someone needs to start a "anything but B&W" website were all you guys can go for therapy since it makes you feel so much better.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Gee, here we go again, maybe someone needs to start a "anything but B&W" website were all you guys can go for therapy since it makes you feel so much better.
Actually, it doesn't make me feel nearly as good as you seem to think. In fact, I often recommend B&W speakers to some co-workers (though not all) who come to me for advice, as I know most people really like them.

Larry

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Al,

You can't go wrong with either speaker, they're both great. The comments on amplification and room size are right on. I say save a couple of grand and get the 802s.

Rodney,

Your dealer lied, BAT is still around and still making superb gear. I suggest looking for a new dealer.

Rob_Z

Grip
I agree with the people who say you need the room. I have the 802's in a 15 X 15, plus the kitchen(kind of the same room if you know what I mean) My speakers face the kitchen so eventhough my sofa is in a 15 X 15 room I can go back into the kitchen and be 30 feet away. My point here is that I can really tell the difference in the 'sound stage' from 30 ft away compared to sitting on the sofa 15' away. I would think the 801's would 'need' this kind of area to be appreciated. I also think the 802's look cooler!!

By the way email me with the dealer in AZ, the only dealer I know is in N. Phoenix 45 min. I already have my speakers so I won't be able to buy yours. You can let me know after you make your decision to buy/don't buy. thanks

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Alex. that is interesting, perhaps I misunderstood what he said, maybe he meant that they no longer carry them or that paticular model was a "close out model"???? interesting

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I personally think the N802 sounds better than the N801, but your mileage may vary. Regardless of which speaker you choose, make sure to run them with good gear (Classe' works wonderfully with B&W).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Regardless, my point is that when I purchased my N802s, they automatically became the strong link in my system and my gear isn't shitty. The issue is the revealing nature of Nautilus speakers. IMO, this is cool...it gives those of us mortals a chance to grow into our speakers.
IME any speaker in this range is going to be much more revealing of electronics, particularly amplifiers. I would mention other brands which share this characteristic but Rodney has forbidden us from acknowledging the existance of anything other than B&W in this thread. :p)

Rodney, I don't know what to say except that you may want to work on that 2x4 with "B&W" carved into it that you are carrying around on your shoulder.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Al,

It is my understanding that B&W designed the 800 and the 802 to use two smaller bass drivers rather than the one large bass driver that the 801 uses specifically because it was so hard to get the 801 to behave in the home environment. I don't remember if I read this on the B&W site or in a Stereophile review of the 800/802. If this is of concern to you, a little searching on those two sites should turn it up.

Pete H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a little different opinion from some of the posters above when it comes to the amp requirements for the N801 and N802. My experience leads me to the conclusion that any amp that will make the N802 sing will do almost the exact same for the N801. They both require very good amplification to achieve their full potential. Electronic requirements would not cause me to pick one over the other.

I would say electronic requirements might be a reason to not choose either speaker. In my opinion, electronics and cables will consume 70% of the total price of any system using these speakers. I don't believe this is unique to the B&W's. Without getting specific, look at the equipment used to demonstrate ??? (insert the name of any speaker people offer in replacement).

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Well - it took seven months, but I just bought a set of 802's in black ash from a great guy on Audiogon!

These speakers are in pristine condition and include the spikes and shipping

Man! I'm pumped. These babies will be in my possession in about 2 weeks. I can't wait.

I listened to a whole bunch of speakers in the last 7 months and kept coming back to the 802's for sound quality and styling.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish I had a wife like Al B C! If I told my wife I wanted 1 pair of speakers for $7K I would probably have divorce papers thrown at me! I need a new wife

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Well she was already softened up a bit because she just bought herself a motorcycle. And, actually I got them for a lot less then $7K.
Man! I feel like a kid waitin' for Christmas. :D

JordanS

Second Unit
It wasn't too long ago that I had the chance to audition the N802 with all McIntosh Electronics running them. It was by far the most beautiful sounding audio system I have heard to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks