Buying anew Mistsubishi, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeWat, Oct 1, 2002.

1. JoeWat

JoeWat Auditioning

Bare with me I'm new to all this HDTV stuff.

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV and have decided on a Mitsubishi 55". Now the issue is which model? So far I have found at my local dealer a 55869 which I think is 2002 Plat plus model? The sales guy was really trying to convince me that this TV is the bomb. He tells me that it's actually got some of the same guts that the diamond series comes with. Something about having the same chasis? I have no idea what he's talking about. I wanted to get the 55411 and just use my Warner cable for HDTV. Is that not good? Then I was thinking about spending a little more and getting the 55511. But lookingat the stats on the Mits web site, it seems that the 55411 comes with more features than the 55511. Excluding the built in tuner. So I'm just as confused as when I started. hopefully some of you can help set me straight so I can go buy this Tv and start enjoying some HDTV !!!!

Thanks again...

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Here are a couple of things I am certain of...

When comparing this year's to last year's, you must completely ignore the terms "Platinum," "Platinum Plus," and even "Diamond." Mits dropped the analogs, which means they could now use the "Silver" and "Gold" names for thir digital sets, and they chose to do this. They added these to the mix, and bumped the others all over the place. This means the name designations usually have NO relationship to what they meant with the older, 2001-2002 sets.

Now, I am familiar with the following sets from the older models:

Platinum:
    55" WS-55859 (a 55" set) (This set has the HDTV tuner)

Platinum Plus Series:
    55" WS-55819 (a 55" set) (No tuner)
    65" WS-65869 (a 65" set) (This set has the HDTV tuner)

Diamond Series:
    55" WS-55908 (a 55" set) (No tuner)
    55" WS-55909 (a 55" set) (This set has the HDTV tuner)
    65" WS-65908 (a 65" set) (No tuner)
    65" WS-65909 (a 65" set) (This set has the HDTV tuner)

But, I am NOT familiar with the WS-55869. If you have the correct model number, it is probably safe to assume that it is just like the 65869, above.

Now, I think I recall the following, which may be important:

Mits sets are GREAT. However, they do ship with a lot of "red push." This has always been fixable in the past. On some models it was very easy. On other models it was tough to do, and often required a calibrator to do.

On last year's models, I THINK I recall that ALL sets with built-in tuners had access to the "fix" through the service menus. Meaning, armed with a bit of research, and caution, you could go in and punch in a few quick changes with your remote, and the red push is gone forever.

On the newer 2002-2003 models, the jury is still out. On some sets the fix is "easy" for 480i signals (your Cable TV or Satellite or over-the-air), but it may be very tricky for the DVD stuff and the HDTV stuff.

On other 2002-2003 new sets, the fix may be very tricky for all inputs.

There are people working on trying to determine this right now.

Given that, the safest choice might be that set from last year which has the built-in tuner.

I have one of the sets where it was "tough" to fix... (a 65" not listed above, without the tuner). I did perform the fix, but it required a PC and a special cable, and a willingness to risk voiding the warranty, as well. I could also have paid a calibrator, but I like to tweak.

Others may disagree, but my honest opinion is as follows:

Mitsubishis may not look as great as some out of the box. However, they will settle, and will finally yield a great picture, if the red push can be tamed. And, if you decide to pay for an expert calibration, their image quality (according to several calibrators I have read), is "as good, if not better than, any other consumer RPTV in the marketplace, in the world."

Everything hinges on taming that red push, though, in my opinion. Defeating the SVM can also help, but this is not as critical.

"Red Push" falsely bumps the amount of red mixed in the picture, so the picture appears more vibrant and alive and seems as if it is actually brighter (in the showroom). This can help sales, when you are looking at it alongside 50 other sets. Once you get one home, though, you start to notice the constant sunburns, and how flesh tones just look a bit too "pink" or "overly red." Most end up having to reduce the overall color (color saturation) control, until this goes away. But then, all of the other colors are now a bit "faded" and not as vivid as they really should be.

Other brands also have it, by the way. Even the super-expensive Pioneer Elites ship with too much "red push." But, on the Mits, it can be TOO much.

If you E-Mail me, I can direct you to a location where there is a lot of information about the red push, and how to tame it, and which sets are "easy" and which ones are "tougher."

And, as I said, the newer ones are so new, many are working on the information right now. I suspect they will "solve it" for all models, as they have in the past couple of years. However, there are no guarantees.

And, that salesman was actually speaking pretty close to the truth, from many calibrator's opinions. I have read a lot that, on last year's models, it really did not make that much difference in the final picture quality if you got the Platinum, Platinum Plus, or Diamond. If you did not calibrate, the Diamond and Platinum Plus both seemed to have a "very slight edge" over the Platinum in picture quality. If you had them calibrated, though, the "edge" went away, and they could all look equal. Most of the differences were NOT in the picture, and were very minor, like slightly better speakers, or the better remote control system for home networking.

The Diamonds of last year also had an anti-glare screen which did reduce glare better than the others. Ironically, many who do not have children ended up taking it off, since their shields are removable.

Just my own opinions,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

3. Jim Can

Jim Can Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 55411 and had it delivered a week ago Saturday. This is a nice TV. I bought this one over the 511 because of the quadfield focus. I also heard that if you have direct tv or cable HD you will need their set top box anyway so I decided to not spend the extra money on the quadfield focus-less 511. The red push does not bother me at all. On most of the inputs you can adjust each individual color, like Bruce said the HD input does not have individual color adjustment just your basic color adjustment. It is a good tv, the only thing that bothers me a little is the picture is a bit grainy looking, not bad but I heard that it gets better as the tv breaks in. If you have any specific questions let me know.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Bruce in Chi-Town,

Well hello Mr. Mitsubishi!
    Thanks for answering a question of mine from another post; "Is the Mits screen removable?".

5. Jim Can

6. JoeWat

JoeWat Auditioning

Sorry Bruce, it was the 55859. My bad...

Thanks for the response, plenty of usefull info there. So this leaves me with a couple of questions.

1. Is the quadfield focus all that important? and why don't the ones with the built in tuners get it?

2. If I choose to go 55411 and use Warner Cable for my HDTV, will the picture look as good as using the built in tuner on the 55859? The sales guy was telling me it wouldn't.

Thanks again for all the help.

7. Jim Can

You can get quadfield focus and a built in tuner, you have to step up to the 611 or 711. The 611 is not available in a 55" though.
    I don't have cable HD but it should look just as good from what I've heard. The built in tuner only gets off air signals so you would need another for premium channels anyway.

8. Edi

Edi Extra

You will not go wrong with 55859. I love it. The Wiz made me a great deal. You will like it even more if you have a progressive scan DVD with some DTS movies. Blade II rocks.

9. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

I also have a 55411. I must have missed it in my manual, but how do you adjust each individual color? I just noticed the "color" and "tint" settings when toggling through the video settings. Thanks. Jim

10. Jim Can

James, go to
    1.menu
    2.advanced features
    3.color balance
    4.manual color adjustment
    You have to adjust this separately for each input and it is not available for 480p or hd inputs.

11. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

It sounds to me like you have the right idea - get your 55411 and run with digital cable. When you are tired of that, you could always get ther Mitsubishi promise module or something comparable. Like Jim, I have one of this years's 55 inch models (55311) and they are truly user friendly and provide a great picture. They do settle down into being less grainy as time goes one. It just depends on how much you watch per day as to when that happens. I've had mine for almost 2 months and it only took me about 3 or 4 weeks to see the difference. Up to then, I wasn't so sure it was acceptable, but it's become a very fluid picture with great color and detail. One of these years, when I have ALL of my equipment bought (new speakers, HD Tuner, etc) I'll spring for an ISF and drive this thing into the stratosphere, but for now it will do fine with me and AVIA [​IMG]
    Go with your gut and not a salesman's push of old inventory,
    Matt

12. Jim Can

Matt, Have you ever noticed on dvd's or digital cable that the background and patches on peoples faces seem to be digitized and moving. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with my tv. It is happening to frequently now. let me know if you have ever had this happen to you. Thanks

13. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I just got the 55511 and to set the individual color in the service menu does an increase in # for R-yr, R-yb and same for green increase the color. What would be the best way to deal w/ the red push (slight) on my set??
    SC

14. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Jim,
    No, man, mine does that, too. I'm pretty sure it's just MPEG artifacting that we are seeing. The nature of MPEG compression is that it doesn't change non-moving parts of the screen to save date rates. I have to imagine that, blown up and budget line-doubled, we are noticing it now more than ever. At least, that's my take! Pagin Mr. Jack Briggs !!!.... LOL!!

Matt

15. Jim Can

WOW that sucks! I didn't see anything like that on my old RCA 46" I put in the basement to get this new Mitz! I wonder if there is anyway to fix this?