Buying and selling without getting ripped?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

How do you know if you can trust a long distance sale? I'm sure neither the buyer or seller is going to wait intil the other party receives the cash/item first and then get theirs in return. So how does it work?

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

You check their feedback in the Good Trader's list that's in the Software For Sale section, you see how many posts they have here on HTF, and if you have any other reservations you can ask for their phone number and call them at home. Calling them is probably a good thing to do anyway if it's an expensive item (>$500), if for no other reason than to avoid any misunderstandings.
    Another thing to do is to check their ebay feedback... although this isn't foolproof, it's still a decent way to gauge a new member's "tradeworthiness".
    Good luck.

3. scott trigg

scott trigg Extra

i have bought meny items cod. you have nothing to lose on it. you don't pay for the item,you don't get it. simple as that. why alot of guys do not like it is a mystery to me

would you send money to someone that you do not know? i would'nt. most guys ive tried buying from willnot do cod.so they would rather wait another 2 monthes and loosing out on a sale.

scott

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

If you have any doubts about the seller, insist on using an escrow service for the transaction. If the seller balks, walk away from the deal. No legitimate seller should have any reason to avoid escrow.
    This is the company I use: http://www.tradenable.com/
    Their fees are about average for this kind of service, and they ensure that the seller won't get paid until you are satisfied that the item is as described. It's a small price to pay to be sure your transaction is legit.

5. Ron John

Ron John Auditioning

COD is the way to buy and sell, If you don't pay the UPS Man the COD amount Then you don't get the item. Simple as that.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

The only bad thing about COD is that sure the UPS man gets a check but does UPS guarantee the check? Sure you can state money order or Cashier checks for the COD only but even those are extremely easy to cancel as long as they kept their stub. Most likely no one would ever do this (though it happened to my parents) but it is still a possibility. For expensive items the escrow service is a great idea. If I am a seller and the buyer requests it I will do it as Long as the Buyer pays for the service.

KyleS

7. Doug Cox

Doug Cox Extra

All shippers also have a CASH ONLY option for you to use-

8. scott trigg

scott trigg Extra

ups does not take cash either.
    scott[​IMG]

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I am a frequent buyer/seller of electronics with over 200 satisfied buyers including many members on this forum. My ebay feedback is a perfect +87. That said, as a seller, I will never accept COD or escrow. I was burnt once and will never be burnt again by a fickle, inexperienced or fraudulant buyer. As I see it, it is my item and does not become the buyer's item until I have their cold hard cash in my bank account. It doesn't bother me that this policy may eliminate some folks from buying my items. IMO, the headaches and losses involved when dealing with a single bad buyer or defrauded COD item easily overcomes the reduction of potential buyers for any of my items. Finally, when possible always buy with a CC from a verified buyer with very good feedback. When I do that I have no concerns whatsoever with getting what I am paying for...

10. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

If I'm unsure about a seller I will ask questions via email two or three times. I feel much more comfortable if all of the questions are responded to quickly.

I also prefer to buy from HTForum members who have been around a while & who post frequently...(Like John Morris... Thanks for the CD Player deal!)

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gary: Thanks, and You are Welcome!

12. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Also with COD shipments if the buyer doesn't accept the package the seller still has to pay for the shipping (well, actually he paid before he shipped it). Plus waiting to get money from UPS is sometimes a hassle.

If the items is a big ticket item, ask if you can use an escrow service and that you'll pay any additional fees involved. This is probably the most secure way to do it. But there are added costs involved, wait times for money and a little risk for the seller (you could get the product and do something to it then send it back, rare but could happen).

If it's not a big ticket item, then all of the above advice is all very good.

Andrew