Buying an SVS sub need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamC, Dec 16, 2002.

1. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

ok. heres the situation my old sub died and i need a new one. i was looking at the SVS and from what I hear its an excellent sub. however i don't kow which one is right for my room since i can't test it out. My room is 15'x14'
    i was thinking about the 25-31 pci because its within my budget and looking at some SPL test result it seems like a great sub. What do you guys think? Should I go with the 20-39pci istead? Is the 25-31 a perfect fit to my room (as best as one can tell)?

Thanks for the help
    William C.

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

There really isn't too much difference between the two. However, I'd take the 20-39 just because its goes down a bit more and w/ a small room like yours, you won't need the spl that you'll lose. One thing to remember is the 20-39 is much larger (8 inches on top, not sure on width).

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

William C.,

Send the guys at SVS an email ([email protected]) with your room size and listening preferences (movies to music ratio, are you a fan of pipe organs, etc.). They would know best what will work in your space. The width between the two is identical.

-Robb

4. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks alot guys. i just sent the SVS guys an e-mail. i appreciate the help.

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    as Robb said, consult SVS directly, in particular Tom Vodhanel (you can find his posts in many threads here, and can send him a private email); they're always happy to make recommendations and advice, even if you don't ultimately go with an SVS.
    as Nick said, they're the same width -- including the 16-46. my $0.02s is that you seem to have a small room, so even the 16-46 would work (lose still more SPLs in favour of even lower bass) from a volume point of view, unless you listen at crazy levels [​IMG]
    also, as Robb said, what are your listening tastes? if you love pipe organ music, you'd probably prefer at 16-46, goes down nice and low.
    it then boils down to aesthetics (and therefore WAF, if that's a consideration). do you want a "smaller" sub that's "only" 33" tall, or a bigger one that's about 40", or even 46" or so? believe me, even the "small" 25-31 is a lot bigger than you imagine, my SO was appalled when she first saw it... [​IMG]

6. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

7. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I have the 25-31PCi with 22Hz tuning in a 20x15 room w/ 20ft cathedral ceilings. I was worried it wouldn't be enough sub....not a chance! Although I am new to the HT scene, I can tell you with confidence that the 25-31PCi rocks hard for both movies and music! At $589 delivered, it's a fantastic bang for the buck!
    I have a couple of pics at:
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/slewis/ht/
    Sean in Nor Cal

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

SVS does make an awesome subwoofer. I love mine! If you have a significant other, though, make sure the aesthetics of having a giant black cylinder in your HT is acceptable to him or her!