Buying an HDTV for a limited space....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys.. my first post here.. been reading for some time gather info! My question is I only have an area of about (45 x 38) to work with (w x h) no matter how much I beg my wife won't let me hack up the entertainment center [​IMG] so I'm stuck with that area. What is the biggest/best HDTV I can get in there? Any suggestions.
    I have been looking at the new Sony Wega 40" flat screen.. the dimensions are good.. the only problem is it's 4:3, havn't yet seen there "enhanced" 16:9 setting for DVDs but I'm sure it won't be too flattering.
    Anyway.. thanks in advance for all your help suggestions!
    Jim

2. Jim Carr

Bump

3. Ferdinand C

Ferdinand C Auditioning

I've only heard good things about the 40" Sony especially about the 16x9 feature. I have the 36" Wega and the DVD anamorphic picture is gorgeous. If you are looking for magazine reviews, there is at least one I know off hand. It is in the December issue of "Sound & Vision".

4. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I got a HItachi 43UWX10B for Christmas & am very happy with it. Like you, I had limited space and this rear projection set was perfect. The screen is 16 x 9, I'm having no problems with the image or sound. Very generous in providing outputs and boy, do the DVDs look great with little or no banding. Got it for $2089 at Circuit City, they delivered in two days. I don't know much about the Sony 40". I checked out the 34" widescreen. What a picture! Just out of my price range. I can tell you this set weighs 130 lbs, compared to 350 for the Sony 40"! I mention this cuz my set resides in our 3rd floor family room. You have to ascend two staircases, both with tight turns along the way. The delivery guys were real happy that I settled on the RP set!

5. Jim Carr

Ed.. can you tell me the dimensions of that set you have? The RPTV? thanks!

Thanks for all your help guys.. I'll definetly check out that review.

Jim

6. JoeDelan

JoeDelan Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba 42H81 would be a nice fit I believe. It's 1999 at Best buy and you get Free Shipping and a free Leather Recliner right now...

Or you can check out hometheaterspot.com and there is a group buy for that one. Not sure on the price but you can find all the info there.

7. Jim Carr

Awesome.. I'm going to check that out. Thanks alot!

Jim

8. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Jim-

The dimensions on the Hitachi are: height: 39", Width: 41 7/32", Depth: 20 5/8" Wt.: 153 lbs.

Happy shopping!

9. Jim Carr

I think I found another today... an absolute beauty!!
    RCA F38310, it's a 38 widescreen HDTV direct view. Dimensions are perfect... the picture is incredible. It has a built in HDTV receiver and Direct TV receiver. I'm still researching but I might be picking this bad boy up tuesday or wednesday!!! [​IMG]