Buying airplane tickets locally from an online source...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, May 30, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've done this once before and it worked out to the same price, I was wondering if I could simply bring in an itinerary with the flight numbers and all that to a local travel agency and buy my tickets from them for the same price that I found via Orbitz.com. I'm planning a multiple trip to Alaska (again!) this year and will have to go to Skagway and then to Anchorage. So I priced it out to be about $626 including tax via Orbitz and they were the cheapest out between them and Expedia and Travelocity.

However, since they are not e-tickets, I'd have a $15 shipping fee for delivery. The fee is not that big a deal, but unfortunately, I wont be around to pick it up next week. While I can surely get a neighbor to try to pick it up for me and hold it, I thought it would be easier to be able to go down to a local agency and buy it for the same price. Heck, I'm taxed either way... Has this ever worked for you, for those of you who have tried it. I did this about 4 years ago on a mountain bike trip to Utah but haven't done this recently and things change..

Jay

2. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    That depends. If the fare is an "internet-only" fare, you can't, as it won't be available to the travel agent.
    Another option would be to take the exact itinerary (assuming it's all on one carrier) and price it on that carrier's website. By doing this you should be able to get e-tickets. If you can't, some airlines allow you to specify 'pick-up' as a delivery option. With this, you head down to your local CTO (city ticket office) and they print up the ticket.
    There's a thread somewhere on Flyertalk that talks about how Orbitz works. If you want more info you might try searching there.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi CameronJ, designated Obscure post replier I see...

I'll have to check...I mean by far, Orbitz gave me the best flights, like $200 less than either Travelocity or Expedia.. I'll have to look at the fine details..

I'm the walking wounded today, I took a nasty-looking spill yesterday on like a supersteep rocky NJ descent yesterday while mountain biking... Nice gash on my chin, a sore clavicle and a sprained right thumb. Amazingly, no big cuts on my knees cause I think I landed on my chin..

Jay

4. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it sad when I'm jealous of your wounds?

I've been stuck in Boston working during the week the last couple of months, and have had some major home improvement projects monopolizing my time on the weekends. I've probably only put about 400 miles on the bike so far this year, almost all on the road.