Buying advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Jun 20, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok, I have a purchase I am planning, but of course a limited budget, and im hoping I can get some advice on how much I can generally talk down the the price.

the sticker price is 3068 for the two items i want, a HDTV, and a surge protector. unfortunately my max price is about 3200 taxes in, so i need them to take off about 9.3% if i leave out the surge protector its difference of about 7.2%

I plan on paying cash and I know for a fact that if i were to pay with credit card it would cost the store 3-4% more, so im sure just by paying cash they can knock that much off, but is it unreasonable to shoot for a total of 9.3% off?

basically i dont want to look like a butt head askign for somethign unreasonable, or is this just a tough bargain i should try for?

cheers
    John

2. Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins Agent

Definately ask for the price you want (within reason). If they say no, try some place else. I have NEVER payed full price for any of my A/V gear, nor has anyone I have ever brought with me to purchace stuff. I think the smallest price reduction I got was 10% off. I typically get 15-20% off what the store is asking. Don't bother with the large "chain stores" try smaller A/V shops. Generally, as I have found, the more expensive the item, the more they will knock-off, because there is a larger mark-up.

Tim

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok, Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has an opinion id love to hear it.

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I sell TVs, so perhaps I can help. If a customer tells me "this is what I want, and if you can get the entire ticket at this amount or less I will buy today," I respect their honesty and their desire to not haggle on price, and I will get it as close as possible for him/her... the "I will buy today" is the key phrase that any salesperson loves to hear! Your price range seems very reasonable... but I'd recommend you tell him/her you have $3000 to spend, taxes in, and see how close he can get to that. If he gets it to $3050 you just saved another $150! It shouldn't be tough for him/her to do.

Unless you are seriously at a "Mom & Pop," one-location store, the cash/credit card thing won't give you too much leverage. Sure, it costs a company less to accept cash, but from a salesperson's point of view, he/she doesn't get paid more if you pay in cash, so he/she will usually not take off any additional discount for it. For even the smaller chains, credit card transaction fees are an assumed operational expense, and it doesn't give you any bargaining ground at all.

Tim says he gets 15-20% off, which is great for him, but that's a lot to take out of most HDTVs today, and I personally feel that most salespeople would balk at that steep a discount. On an HDTV, asking for up to 10% off is very much within reason. The more accessories my customer is buying -- surge protector, cables, warranty plan -- the more profit margin I have to work with and the more I can take off the TV itself. Plus, when a customer is listening to what extras I think he/she will need, trusts my expertise and is willing to purchase what I've recommended, it makes me feel I'm doing my job, and I find myself more willing to make the customer a good deal.

Finally, if your salesperson has spent his/her time with you, steered you right, treated you fair, and hit the dollar amount you have to work with, give him/her your business. To waste a person's time and then buy from the internet or from a dealer across the street that will "beat any price" is just a slimy thing to do. Sure, there are slimy salespeople out there as well, but the vast majority are just TV geeks who are trying to make an honest living.

Good luck, let us know how you do with your TV purchase!

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

WOW, Jim thank you very much for that reply, you have given me alot of information to work with. To be honest I dont plan to go elsewhere for my tv purchase, I know what I want and where i want it, the only thing that will prevent me is the cost, especially since i now know my goals are reasonable (id hate to be the minger who wanted the unreasonable) Of course if i really cant make a deal i am still prepared to walk away and reconsider on getting a sony from the sony store. so they dont have me by the short hairs.

again thanks for the info.