Buying a used tivo.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil_S, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

I have found someone selling a used Tivo (Phillips 14 hour) for $50. He said that he used it for quite a while until he upgraded to a 30 hour unit and it has been sitting in his closet until now when he decided to get rid of it. Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used unit? You cannot beat the price, especially because it is one you can upgrade (1 drive). If he still has it available I think I will get it and do the upgrade without bothering to back it up..... I would spend more on the extra hard drive to do the back up on than I paid for the whole unit [​IMG]
    In his post he said that the buyer will have to get a subscription with Tivo... If someone already had a lifetime subscription on the unit (assuming he did and not the $9.95/month) won't that transfer to me? From the sounds of things he does not know too much about the hacking or other DIY aspects of it considering he bought a new unit (unless he just didn't want to do it himself).
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    ------------------

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Yes, lifetime subscriptions transfer to a new owner.
    The main thing to watch out for is if the modem functions. If you get through guided setup you are most likely fine ...