Buying a Surround sound

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jon_Ly, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Jon_Ly

Jon_Ly Auditioning

Hi guys im new here, but i need some help. im looking at upgrading my surround speakers soon. This is due to my purchase of a Pioneer VSX-815 receiver. it has up to 7.1 100 watts per and has the auto setup MCACC. i currently am in college and live in a small apt. the room this system is in is about 13x12 feet. i would like something that will also sound good in a larger room, cuz i dont wanna have to purchase another one when i buy a house. Im currently leaning towards a compact or smaller system due to aesthetics and the wife doesnt want huge speakers. that said my current choices are Klipsch Cinema 10, Polk RM6900, Energy act6, Orb series, and a Bose Acoustimass 16. i would prefer something i can upgrade to 7.1 in the future. i mostly watch movies and would love something that can bring the theatre home to me and sound good anywhere in the room. im lookin at staying around 1400-1500 dollars. hopefully someone can help thanx jon

2. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

The only problem is (generally speaking) size and quality go sort of hand in hand.

Better speaker are usually bigger and most certainly heavier.

As for the models you listed I know both Klipsch and Polk make decent speakers tho I would avoid the Bose.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

haha

Bose

ROFL

Anything but Bose

4. Jon_Ly

Jon_Ly Auditioning

I guess now im leaning towards a Orb system with all mod2s so it would be a 5.1 as of now. does anyone have this system or does anyone have any thoughts on orb speakers. how do they compare to gallo's

5. MatthewME

MatthewME Auditioning

I've got supper cheap Sony speakers in a box that are about 3 inches for the satellites, and they work great.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

One thing that I found particularly annoying about my Polk Home theatre speaker (rm5800 or something) was that the manual specified frequency response for the entire system, and did not give enough information for me to set the crossover--at least not without some trial and error.
    MCACC should help here, but judging by HTF posts, it doesn't always come up with the correct answers.
    The other problem that may come up is 5.1 music (DVD-A, SACD) Some receivers do not perform bass management on their multichannel inputs, forcing you to rely on the DVD-A/SACD player's often rudimentary bass management controls. I'd make sure that the surround sound speakers can reproduce at least some bass.