Buying a RPHDTV, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wayne-sun, Aug 2, 2002.

1. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

Am getting ready to make my biggest hometheatre purchase yet and have narrowed it down to 2 units. Toshiba 50H82 or Panasonic 47WX52. Antone who owns either of these, your opinion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.Most of my viewing will be Directtv (NON HDTV) and progressive scan dvd movies. Part of the reason for these two units are the size limitations I have getting a RPTV into my basement.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Wayne. Welcome to HTF!

We have an entire fourm dedicated to displays, so I'm going to move your post over there where it will get more focused attention.

I know the Toshiba is well reguarded, but the guys may have opinions on the Panasonic unit.

Hint: Try typing 47WX52 in the search window and see what pops up on older posts.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Welcome to the HTF, Wayne.

I'm in a similar predicament myself...but have decided to go with the Panasonic. Now I'm just trying to decide between the 47" and the 53" models. Money is the real concern there.

Good Luck!

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I don't think you'll find anyone who owns either set who is unhappy with it! It's kind of a no-lose situation.

I went with the Toshiba for the smaller (shallower) footprint and the SAF. I love it.

I'm sure if I had one of the Panasonics, I'd love it, too.

Jan

5. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Hi Wayne, I just went through the same decision, but between the PT-53WX42 and the 50H82. I went with the Panasonic primarily because of the extra size and price. My last TV was the Toshiba TW40X81 and when comparing it with the Pana model and the 50H82 in the showroom, here is what I found.

The Toshiba has a MUCH better built in line doubler. I still watch cable TV and laserdisc every now and then and the Toshiba will do a superior job of displaying the inferior signals. Cable and laserdisc on the Panasonic look pretty awful. The Toshiba is also DVI upgradable so if you are interested in future HD broadcasts, this might be a factor in your decision making.

Now where the Panasonic really shines is in picture detail. This set puts out a razor sharp picture so if you have a good progressive scan dvd player, you are in for a real treat. The Toshiba units tend to have a somewhat softer look. Hooking my Xbox up to the Panasonic further exaggerates the differences between the two sets. The Panasonic will display more aliasing and jaggies but the difference in overall detail is astounding.

Like Jan said, you really can't lose with either set. There is a significant price difference between the 50H82 and the Panasonic models so I just felt that the PT-53WX42 was the better value. Otherwise, the superior line doubler and the DVI upgradability would have probably swayed me towards the 50H82.

6. Mike Nelms

Mike Nelms Extra

I received my PT-47WX52 Panasonic 3 weeks ago. Absolutely frickin LOVE it. So does my wife...she was very reluctant until she watched a DVD with me on it. I opted for the built in screen shield model because I have 2 small kids, one wild teenager, and it keeps the dust off the REAL screen and I DO NOT regret it one bit. We live in a smaller house and 47" is perfect!!!

I get a great picture on mine even with the shield.

I LOVE my Panny 47WX52

Good luck!

Mike