buying a projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Tenniswood, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Simple, and to the point ... What's the best projector I can get for around $1300 (give or take a little?).

Thanks in advance,
    -Rob

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That is anything but simple and to the point. [​IMG]

Best outright in picture quality? Most likely a used CRT projector.

But I am going to read a little into your post, and say that you probably meant "best for me," which is what we all mean with these kinds of questions.

In which case, we need to know what kind of space you have:

do you have light controlled room?
    How big a screen do you want?
    What will you use it for?
    What will you drive the projector with?
    Are you going to use something like an HTPC, or just a DVD player?
    What kind of ceiling do you have for mounting, presuming you want to ceiling mount?
    What kind of "gumption" do you have, to determine CRT or digital projector?

sorry for asking you way more questions than givint you any answers, but that's the way these things go. [​IMG]

3. Rob Tenniswood

do you have light controlled room?

Right now, the closest thing I have to a light-controlled room is that the light can be "on" or "off"

How big a screen do you want?

100-120

What will you use it for?

Everything. Mostly to watch movies, but TV and video games as well. We'll probably even hook up a computer to it for web-surfing, IMing, etc.

What will you drive the projector with?

Hunh?

Are you going to use something like an HTPC, or just a DVD player?

Both...and a VCR. And several video game systems.

What kind of ceiling do you have for mounting, presuming you want to ceiling mount?

Ceiling hasn't been finished yet. It's just wood support beams (in the unfinished basement).

What kind of "gumption" do you have, to determine CRT or digital projector?

Gumption? If that's money, then under $1600, if possible, but that's not a set figure or anything. If it's something else, then I have no clue what you're talking about. :-D

Thanks for the quick reply, btw!

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I mean, are you good with a stickshift? [​IMG]

just kidding.

I was referring to what sources you will be using to feed the projector. I was hinting at the possibility of an HTPC for video processing. If you have a computer already, this may be a very good idea, no matter what kind of projector you get, be it digital, or CRT.

The reason is this: video processing allows you to take full advantage of your display. With a CRT projector, you want to hit the "sweet spot," and get as many lines of resolution as possible, without overdoing it, and thus degrading the image. With a computer, you can get it just how you want it.

With a digital projector, a computer is much more powerful than the scalers that scale all the inputs to the native panel resolution. A computer can do 1:1 pixel mapping, totally bypassing the internal (often crappy, especially on cheaper projectors) processing, to get the best image.

As for gumption, i was referring to, you know, like gumption:
    1. Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.
    2. Guts; spunk.

I like the spunk part especially! [​IMG]

What i meant was how technically ballsy and project-oriented are you? Do you want a project to get the *best* picture quality? Or do you want simplicity? This gets to the CRT or Digital projector question: A digital is small, lightweight, easy to set up. Point, focus, and off you go.

A CRT is large, HEAVY, and a chore to set up properly. And the ultimate PQ that you can achieve is MUCH more dependant on your setup, which you improve with practice. Obviously, a CRT is *NOT* mobile. You could use a digital for more temporary setups, wheras a CRT really needs to be permanently installed. Thus the question about the ceiling. If you have an apartment, or some such where you cant get to beams to bolt up a CRT projector, then you are pretty much limited to digitals.

Whew. Anyway, check the Display devices forum here, which is probably where this thread will end up getting moved to.

And also peruse the CRT projector forums at AVS, there is a good beginners guide by Curt in a sticky of important links there. There is also a

5. Rob Tenniswood

Well, the HTPC thing is a distinct possibility. I'll have to read up on that one.

As for, you know, gumption -- I'm happy to bust my ass to get this to work. That said, the CRT thing sounds a little too much for this setup. Sounds like we're looking at a digital projector for this one. How is the Panasonic L300U?

Finally, for the "I like the spunk part especially"...weird, man. That's just weird. :-D

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Displays.