What's new

Buying a PB2+, have some questions in regards to setup and calibration (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Next month or maybe early April(depending on the sale of my current sub) at the latest I plan to purchase an SVS PB2+ for my home theater room.

After I get on the list so to speak, what should I prepare for in regards to delivery?

I think iirc its Freighted to me so I should be able to leave my name and # with them to call before they come out right? Is it on a pallette strapped down(thinking it is)?

I assume they unload the crate/box etc on the ground then have me sign and off they go, is that your experience? Or will they help me move it into the house?

Assuming its strapped to a pallette or something like that, what tools should I have ready to get the subwoofer out of the crate/box?

I assume I will need a partner to help me move it correct or 2..:)

Once I place the subwoofer in the corner(best place in my room), how much room to the back wall should I give it to let the ports breathe(sp?)?

After it's hooked up, how would I go about calibrating it? My current one was calibrated a while back but I've lost the paperwork I printed out from someone on how to do it.

Before I load up the dvd player with Haunting DTS, Titan AE, Star Wars Ep1 LD, etc), should I break it in someway or is it ok to just start blasting the big guns?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be prepared for it.

Thanks in advance.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Next month or maybe early April(depending on the sale of my current sub) at the latest I plan to purchase an SVS PB2+ for my home theater room.
Great choice... I have one and its the best sub I have seen so far.

After I get on the list so to speak, what should I prepare for in regards to delivery?

I think iirc its Freighted to me so I should be able to leave my name and # with them to call before they come out right? Is it on a pallette strapped down(thinking it is)?

I assume they unload the crate/box etc on the ground then have me sign and off they go, is that your experience? Or will they help me move it into the house?

Assuming its strapped to a pallette or something like that, what tools should I have ready to get the subwoofer out of the crate/box?

I assume I will need a partner to help me move it correct or 2..
They will help you get it to your door if your lucky. You can slide it on the pallette or use a hand truck.

Once I place the subwoofer in the corner(best place in my room), how much room to the back wall should I give it to let the ports breathe(sp?)?

About 6-12" will do it

After it's hooked up, how would I go about calibrating it? My current one was calibrated a while back but I've lost the paperwork I printed out from someone on how to do it.

Use Avia DVD for all calibrating

Before I load up the dvd player with Haunting DTS, Titan AE, Star Wars Ep1 LD, etc), should I break it in someway or is it ok to just start blasting the big guns?

I dont think you can hurt it. Ive tried two ports blocked, one blocked and all open. I prefer all open in my room. Took mine a couple days to warm up to music. Those woofs are very thick.

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be prepared for it.

Good luck and have fun.. your in for a real treat

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Have $20 and a 12 pack ready when Bax Global comes. Tip the guy to bring it into your HT room; it's well worth it.

Leave 6-8" minimum between the ports and the walls.

My suggestion is to start with the 3/25 tune, and if you want even deeper bass, try the 2/20 tune. Avoid plugging two ports - the sub will not function optimally in the 1/16 tune.

Calibrate in the stock 3/25 tune first. If you plug a port, add 1.5 dB to your initial calibration level.

My thoughts on calibration can be found in this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=182649

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, Shane. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Shane, I am in Tulsa also,email me ,and I'll get you my phone #,give me a call when you get it and I'll help you get it moved into place.

Greg

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Edward,
Thanks alot for the information. That is what I'm looking for.

Greg,
I may take you up on that offer. At the very least, if a friend of mine doesn't back out, I will see if you want to come over and have a listen or so.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Avia for calibration - the disc will explain it well. A must have for any HT enthusiast in my opinion.

The PB2+ ships in incredible packaging - on its own custom formed wooden stand, strapped, high denisty foam corner cushioning, two piece cardboard box (who wants to lift a 120 pound sub out of a box - good foresight).

Its shipped BAX Global, meaning you need someone at the address between 8AM and 5PM to recieve. If you can't sign, BAX needs written authorization to leave with someone else. I have a PO Box and had to ship to a HT shop. You can FAX them the authorization if you need, and BAX will phone you before attempting delivery.

You will need two people to load/unload (more if your two aren't very strong). It is possible to move it around the house alone, but watch your back.

You WILL find rattles in your room you never knew existed. You WILL hear things you have never heard before in your music and movies. You WILL be happy and impressed with your product. You ARE making a good choice.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Shane,

When i got my PB2+, i called Bax and told them to leave it by my back door. I was working...wasn't a problem. Once you cut the straps, the whole top of the box slides up and off leaving the sub just sitting on the pallat. With two people it's easy to move. I have mine in the 2/20 config, with the ports 5" off the wall. All speakers set to small, crossed @ 80, crossover disabled on the sub. Used my SPL meter with my Ref50's internal tones. Oh, it kick's HARD. I run mine about 5db hot. For shit's, try "When We Were Soldier's"-"Broken Arrow". The M-16's are great..always get's 'em.. ;)

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Shane,

may I repeat from a previous posting:

The distance to the wall, where the ports are facing to, can be calculated by the size of the cylindrical port space between the Sub and the wall, which should not be smaller than the total area of the woofers. Otherwise, the airflow may be hindered to exit freely.
The following formula can be used to get an idea:

di = aw *(dw * dw) / ap * (8 * dp)

di = distance to wall
aw = amount of woofers (same size)
dw = diameter of woofers (eg. 12 = 12")
ap = amount of ports (same size)
dp = diameter of ports

Examples:

SVS, PB1+ with one 12" Woofer and 3* 3" Ports
di = 1 * (12" * 12") / 3 * (8 * 3") = 2" min. clearance required.

SVS, PB2+ with two 12" Woofers and 3* 4" Ports
di = 2 * (12" * 12") / 3 * (8 * 4") = 3" min. clearance required.

SVS, PB2+ with two 12" Woofers and 2* 4" Ports (one port blocked)
di = 2 * (12" * 12") / 2 * (8 * 4") = 4,5" min. clearance required.

Hope this helps...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Shane,

If Greg has done it before, I would buy him some pizza/beer and let him help you calibrate it. I calibrated my SVS with the Avia disc in about 15 mins, it's quick and painless so don't worry. Then as you listen to DVDs, crank the setting up and down a notch each way to zone in on what you like. Usually the Avia setting is just fine.

For intial settings on the PB2+, probably around 1/2 the gain, turn the x-over on the sub to 'off' (if your receiver handles it for the sub), and leave the ports all open. Probably 6" from the back wall is standard breathing room for the ports. Then enjoy it and retune or whatever to your heart's content.

Don't be afraid to crank out some serious bass right away. Once the PB2+ is calibrated reasonably well to your system, your other components would likely top out (or bottom?) before the SVS does, PB2+ is a beast!

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Shane....I have all the stuff needed to set it up,Rat Shack SPL meter,set up DVD's etc.I would love to come hear it...I am in the surch for a new sub right now also,and the PB-2 is on the short list

Greg

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
"Rat Shack."

I love it! Good name. I can't stand the place - not one I've been in - but there are the necessities at times.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ok it's time for me to admit I'm a lame home theater enthusiast. I don't own an SPL meter(though I've helped several folks use theirs and whatnot before) so I could borrow one but the chance to share the subwoofing experience is something I'll probably do.

Is Avia or the S&V disc better than Video Essentials? I have the original VE disc but I've heard the others are better.

Greg,
I'll give you a "holler" as soon as I get confirmation of its shipping.

Another question if I might, how important is the seperate EQ? Granted its only $120 but It's $120 I can put towards a better stand for a new TV or a new TV for that matter. I'm working on a strict budget.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
You should get your SPL meter and Avia (or other disc with test tones) then measure your room response. Move your sub around to get the best response. Only then will you be able to determine whether an EQ will help.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well the problem there is I can't move the subwoofer more than a few feet here or there from the spot I have it or will place the PB2+. The other 2 corners that are possible produced the crappiest bass I've heard so the corner I have it in now is the best. The problem with the PB2+ is the size so I can't manuever it all that much.

So moving it around to get the "best" response isn't really all that possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks