1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Panny RP91...just a quick question before I do so

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I plan to purchase an RP91 within the next few days, but had a question before I do so. I read that this unit had some minor bugs (one of them being the "pink tint" bug which appears when the "enter" button is pressed to exit a menu rather than the "exit" button) and was wondering if the newer batches of the player have been "fixed." If so, is there a certain serial number on the player that will designate a group/batch of players that received the upgrade/fix?
    Thanks for the assistance,
    Ron

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't experienced that problem, but I think it was limited to the speaker settings menu only. Just make sure you toggle to the exit "button" and hit "enter" in that menu, instead of pressing return on the remote and you shouldn't have any problems.
    DJ

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Other than the pint tint bug (which is not an issue for me, since I do not use the internal DD/DTS decoder from the player), you may need to center the picture if you have a 16x9 TV. I am not sure if this is an issue with a 4x3 TV. It's quite easy to do, though. Simply hold down the STOP button on the player's front panel and use the remote's arrow keys to shift the picture (mine needed to be shifted a coupld of clicks to the right).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Scott,
    Oh yeah, that's right...that was the other "bug" I read about. That's no big deal though. Other than that, how do you like it?

5. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I am very happy with my RP-91. I upgraded from a Toshiba 6200. The RP-91's scaling/zoom feature is a great feature with my 16x9 TV (ISF-calibrated Toshiba 56H80), since it (1) improves the video quality of non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's over my TV's zoom-only mode, and (2) is a nice convenience when watching DVD supplemental material, since I no longer need to constantly switch the viewing mode of my TV as the supplements alternate between anamorphic, full screen and letterboxed formats.
    For anamorphic material, the RP-91 is a slight improvement over the Toshiba, but it's a hands down winner on non-anamorphic widescreen material and convenience. Also, my Toshiba experienced glitches with a few discs, while the RP-91 has so far been glitch-free.
    I am not using the DVD-Audio feature of the unit, so I cannot offer any comments regarding that feature.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

6. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

FWIW, I had the left shift problem with my RP91 and Hitachi 32UDX10S (4:3 DV HDTV) when using progressive scan. With PS switched off, no problem.
    I used Avia and one of the grids for this comparison.
    Scott:

7. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Rick,
    My RP-91 is connected to a 16x9 TV, so I'm not sure how it works with a 4x3 HD-ready TV that performs the anamorphic squeeze trick. I simply leave my Toshiba 16x9 TV in FULL viewing mode, and the RP-91 will automatically switch between screen formats, depending on the material.
    Make sure you have the 4:3 aspect set to AUTO in the U4 submenu (press DISPLAY twice on the remote, then go to U4). You can also force improperly flagged non-anamorphic widescreen material to zoom by changing this setting to ZOOM (I leave it at AUTO at all other times).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

8. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The Panasonic RP-91 is a stellar product. I recently added it to my HT and I can think of no complaints at the moment.
    The two "bugs" mentioned are non-issues - one is easily corrected and the other easily avoided.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

9. Rick Radford

Scott,
    I normally leave that set to "normal." Reason being, sometimes in auto, I get 4:3 images in letterboxed and windowboxed format... for a 4:3 TV!
    Maybe I need to play with it a bit more.
    Follow on: I just put in Enemy of the State. With the TV in 4:3 mode and U4 (the first one that comes up on that screen.. that's U4 isn't it?) showing normal, I get the right image.
    If I switch the TV to 16:9 mode, I have to change U4 to zoom. Seems like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.
    With the TV in 16:9 and the player in Auto, I get the window/letterbox combo.
    Something doesn't seem quite right for it to behave like this, but the manual fix is easy. Maybe that's the price I pay for having a 4:3 set. :/
    Think there's something I've missed?
    ------------------
    --RR

10. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

It sounds like your TV is going into 16x9 squeeze mode regardless of the type of material being played on the RP-91. I never did understand how a 4x3 could automatically sense whether to squeeze or not. Maybe someone with a 4x3 HD-ready set can help.
    This seems logical, since my 16x9 TV is always kept in its FULL viewing mode, which is used for anamorphic material only with any other DVD player. The RP-91 then adjusts the aspect ratio and scales/zooms as necessary, depending on the material (by reading the flags on the disc, which your 4x3 TV obviously cannot do).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 14, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

11. Rick Radford

Iirc, when I left the player in 4:3 letterbox mode, the TV seemed to choose the right viewing mode. However, my understanding is that by doing so, I lost the squeeze.
    [shrug]
    Any idea if there's a definitive way to know the difference between a 2.35:1 LB picture and a squeezed image on a 32" 4:3 set? Both images should be the same size.
    ------------------
    --RR