Buying a new videocard....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Ok All,
    I want to get a card that will handle things like Doom 3, Star Wars Galaxies etc (just got a little bit of a gaming bug). It's really the only weak link my system (at least to me).

2.0GHZ
    512MB
    120GB HD
    DVD
    CD-RW
    GeForce4 TI4200 64MB

My father in law will buy my old card for a $100.00, so I'm thinking of getting a ATI Radeon 9500 Pro for about $220.00. Any other ideas?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

If Doom III is your goal don't settle for anything less than top of the line. I'm waiting until Doom is released before making a move. Both nVidia & ATI will have new offerings around the time Doom finally hits shelves.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmmm, it's a toss-up between the 9500 and a Ti4600. They perform similarly as shown on Tom's Hardware. Personally I'd go with nVidia because of good experiences but it doesn't seem you can lose either way.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

That Ti4200 will do just fine for Galaxies. I would save your cash and wait until Doom is closer to release. There will be new cards out by then, and you'll get more bang for the buck.

-Dave

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I have a 9500 Pro and it runs everything I have thrown at it pretty well....including some unreleased(yet) games. It is a good bit faster then my friends Ti4600(especially with AA turned on), and it has better image quality If you are wanting a card to run Doom III perfectly......its not out and probably won't be out until after Doom III is released.

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

ATi's cards have shown to be consistently faster than any of nVidia's offerings when comparing performance with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering turned on.

If possible, try to get the ~$280 needed for a Radeon 9700 if you need a card now. Otherwise wait a month or two until ATi releases their 9800 and the prices of the 9700 drop.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'd suggest waiting as well. Besides, there's no guarantee those games will be out until xmas! By then, ATI will have a better card out.

I'm writing off NVIDIA for the time being...I really don't want a video card that sounds like a hair-dryer in my computer right now, which doesn't perform more than a few percent faster than a 9700 Pro!

8. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

MAX - don't worry too much about that GFFX, nvidia shelved the hari drier model (ultra version) so it's not even an option anymore. I'm sure Nvidia's next vid card will something else though, they need it to be. [​IMG]

Doom III will be just like every other ID game, you'll be able to run it on almost any machine. I bet with all the options turned down I could run quake III on my 486-100 no graphics laptop. ID is one of the better companies for releasing software that can be adjusted to the computer that you are gonig to run the game on.

Now on the other hand if your wanting to play DoomIII with all the graphics maxed, then you will want to wait for a video card. because even the best vid cards out right now are supposed to be stressed in that game at max settings.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just fyi- If you're looking at the FX for whatever reason the "Hairdryer" version that takes up a PCI slot isn't the only model that will be available. Take a look at the Asus V9900:

[​IMG]

10. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'd suggest waiting also. My guess is by the time Doom 3 is out, the prices on gfx cards will have dropped.

I'd also suggest the ATIs over the NVidia - ATI seems to have won this round of the graphics wars. [​IMG]

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

My power supply only goes to 230. I've heard that I need one to go to 300? Any truth to this?

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd strongly recommend upgrading that 230w power supply. Especially if you're going to run a high-end video card. 230w is a bit on the small side.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My 275w gave me problems when I put in a Radeon 7500, and I'm sure the newer cards use much more power.