What's new

Buying a new TV but confused with info overload. (1 Viewer)

DwightTrumbower

Auditioning
I want to buy a new HDTV but I'm suffering from information overload. I hope by posting I can get some more direct answers.

Tv will be in the basement family room and the current viewing distance is about 10 feet. The tv will be used for movies off sat. and rentals. I will also buy a dvd player and start taking advantages of dvds. Other viewing habits will be the kids with cartoons, playstation, football and sitcoms.

I was thinking a size of around 55" and a price range under $2500.

The wife isn't crazy about stretched people but I guess it is the price to pay for hdtv until all networks broadcast in hdtv.

Is there a big difference in brands between Phillips, Toshiba, etc. ? I know I will stay away from RCA due to being cheaper quality. I have 19" Philips for 15 years and Toshiba for 2. I like the quality of both.

Any helpful information would be appreciated. I have done searching in this forum and others but I'm still don't know which way to go.

Thank you.
Dwight

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Hi, welcome to the HT forum. I keep hearing alot about this RCA F38310 at Circuit City that looks great and is being discontinued at a great price. I has a built in HD tuner too. I haven't seen alot on this forum about it but, there's a guy named Hob over at AVSforum.com that has alot of posts on it and alot of other folks are buying them up. It's worth a look at. Good luck on your search!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome Dwight.
I’m not sure how much this helps, but check out
this thread in the ‘Basics’ area. You might also check this out for some issues around ‘burn-in’. IMO, you don’t have to stretch everything just because you have a 16:9 set.
Only my opinion, but I’d stay away from RCA, but only you can decide. Go down to a retailer on a slow day and make your own comparisons. See if a salesman will allow you to put the sets in a more normal mode (most in a showroom have boosted the picture and color setting substantially) and take along a couple of your own DVDs for comparison.
Good luck.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Dwight, I vote for the Mitsubishi ws-55311. Great set for less than you budgeted. Good luck.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks