buying a new TV... best one w/$2500 budget. please help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe_waite, Nov 10, 2002.

1. joe_waite

joe_waite Stunt Coordinator

hey guys, im going to be getting a new tv here for my basement and start a home theater for myself. i want one that has the 16:9 screen, and preferably 2 component inputs or more and 2 s-video inputs. i have a budget of right around $2500. please help me out here. thanks guys!!

2. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

This is a good time to buy a HDTV because they have the 2002 models reduced to make room for the 2003 models.
    Yesterday I saw a Mitsubishi 65" for $2,299 platnum plus model 65819 at my local electronic store.(new in box)
    in their ad.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Joe: Have you checked out the models in showrooms as well as read reviews in the magazines and here at HTF? Why not pick up a copy of the latest Sound & Vision annual equipment guide (just out) and see what's available within your budget? Then, after narrowing your selection down, ask the membership about their experiences with specific models. JB

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I read next year all sets must have tunres in them, upping the price by $400-500 at least.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

5. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

That better not be true [​IMG]

6. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

Joe, I recently went through a similiar decision. If it's any help, I narrowed my selections down to the Mits 55411 and Pioneer SD-533HD5. IMO, both are nice sets in your price range (Pioneer is on sale for $2250 at OneCall and I got quotes as low as $2300 on the Mits). I opted for the Pioneer, because of the continued red push issue with Mits sets, but I've read several reviews of members who are very happy with the 55411 as well. As someone suggested to me, when I was searching, the choice between these 2 sets is really a toss-up. Good luck with your search.

CDL

7. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

I'd also take a strong look at the Hitachi SWX line as there are two very positive recent reviews of this set in SGHT (NOV) and TPV (Nov/Dec). TPV reviewer compared the set side-by-side with his Pioneer Elite and the SWX held it own and actually outperformed the Elite in black level retention and shadow detail.

I considered the 533HD5 since it is being closed out, but since it has no digital output, I ended up ruling it out. While nobody knows what will happen in the end as far as the DVI vs. Firewire debate goes, I just think that it is safer to atleast have one or the other.

Many of the newer HDTV STB boxes have either DVI or DVI & Firewire.

I just bought the 51SWX20B on Saturday (delivery Wednesday) locally for $2197.00.

It has (2) component inputs
    (1) DVI input
    (3) S-video inputs
    (3) composite inputs
    (2) RF inputs
    (1) RF output

Phil

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I'd cast a vote for the SD533HD5, but I didn't really check out the competition to make a fair comparison. I will say that the 533HD5 is an awesome set and the best HT purchase I've made so far.

9. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit