Buying a new house this Friday NEED SHADES what to get?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by KyleS, Feb 11, 2004.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As the subject says we are buying a new house this Friday and one of the items we will have to buy soon is shades for the windows. We love Cellular shades but what are the brands we should stay with or shy away from? What about Bali or Hunter Douglas? We really have no idea what are quality brands.

Last where are the best places to buy them for the least amount of money from a reputable dealer? We know that extra features like bottom up/top down and continuous cords are more expensive but on average we dont want to spend much more then $125 tops per shade if at all possible.

KyleS

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, you can get temorary pleated paper at home depot for 6$ each for now, and get what you want later. I did my house on a tight budget and have white wood blinds (2") in the main areas and PVC cheapos from home depot in the bedrooms and kitchen. I think the wood for 4 windows cost me a bit under 300$ and the rest cost me less than $25 each [​IMG]

I ordered from www.blindsgalore.com and was pleased, there are many others though. I don't know how much the duettes run, that sounds like what you're looking for. go price them for yourself.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Resurrecting this thread to ask the same question: Anyone know anything about blinds, specifically Hunter Douglas? We're getting blinds for five windows in a "Morning Room." The custom installer wants about $1000 for wood-slat style Hunter Douglas -- which seems a fair price for the brand. Or we can buy install a brand like Levelor or Bali for maybe $600.

But we know nothing about blinds and aren't finding much online or with Consumer Reports. Is there a good source of info on the relative quality or worth of these brands?

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If that's your price range forget Hunter-Douglas. That's like saying I want a brand new Mercedes and my budget is $15,000. [​IMG]

I've bought Levelors at local Home Depots with good luck.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have Hunter Douglas blinds in two rooms in my house and Levelor in the rest of the house. IME the Hunter Douglas blinds are more than worth the premium price.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks, Philip. It's good to hear at least that some people find the HD blinds worth the premium.