What's new

Buying a new DVD player (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few questions in regards to buying a new DVD player. And was hoping to reap the benefit of all the vast knowledge out there.

Right now I have an analog tv which I hope to upgrade next year to HDTV, so I am looking at progressive scan player preferably with a 5 disc changer.

My first question is do I need a progressive scan player if I have a HDTV. The reason I ask is that a salesman at circuitcity told me that the HDTV will upgrade the signal from a player with component outputs, making the progressive scan player overkill.

I am looking at the following units:
Sony NC-655P
Panasonic DVD-C67K
Panasonic DVD CP72
JVC XV F-80

Any comments on the above players as far as reliability and quality? Or any other players out there in the $200 - $250 price range?

Thanks for any comments!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
An HD-capable display will use its internal line doubler to produce a progressive-scan image from an interlaced-only DVD player. Question is, how good is the set's line doubler? Many line doublers in earlier-generation HD-capable sets introduced annoying artifacts into the image. And, also, does the set in question employ 2:3 pulldown circuitry?

As a rule, though not always, it is better to use the progressive signal and 2:3 pulldown processing in a modern DVD player than to rely on the monitor's ability to perform these functions.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you're buying a new player anyway, get progressive scan. The quality of the line doubler and 3/2 pulldown in the set can vary--some are quite good (Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba) and others not so good.

If you already have a good interlaced player and purchase a set that does a good job of line-doubling, purchase of a progressive scan player is not absolutely essential, but if you're getting a new player anyway it makes sense to get a progressive scan model.

I have a Sony KP57HW40 widescreen set which does a very good job with interlaced dvd, and still see a noticeable improvement from a progressive scan player vs interlaced. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable.

I had the JVC you mention for a year and it was quite good--nice picture quality for film sources and it has the scaling feature for non-anamorphic dvds. I recently got the Panasonic CP-72 and it has a little smoother, more colorful, and more detailed picture on film sources and a more noticeably better picture on video-based dvds, but does not have the scaling feature.

The Panny will play dvd-a, the JVC won't. Either player is imho a great buy in the $250 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks