Buying a new computer soon - need video card rec.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan_Lim, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I will play games like Starcraft and Warcraft once in a while.

Two features that I'd like are:

1) TV tuner, this is quite important to me. Sometimes it would be nice to watch two different programs in our household and I don't really have room for a 2nd TV, so the computer will be used as a 2nd TV in a pinch.

2) As I'm going to use the computer to watch TV, I figure it would be cool to capture the signal coming into the computer and be able to record on my computer. If this adds a considerable cost to the video card then I may do without this.

So before I choose the components for my new system I'd like recommendations on the video cards I should be considering.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

A budget would help but an All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 sounds like it would fit your needs.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Yeah I'm going to second the ATI ALL-in-Wonder radeon 8500DV, it's a really nice card with it's own TV tuner and capture setup.

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Alan:

Starcraft and Warcraft dont actually have very high requirements for graphics cards. Anything will suffice for StarCraft, and most cards up to 2 generations old will support WarCraft III just fine.

Unless you're really chomping at the bit to play the new-generation titles (UT 2003/Unreal II/Doom 3), I'd recommend the All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV also - everything you need in one easy package.

I have a slightly slower chip (AIW 7500), and I'm quite happy using it as a TV. It handles recording chores quite easily. Just make sure you have a hard drive that can handle all the video and you'll be set. [​IMG]

5. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

Scott, good point regarding budget. I should have put something about that in. I had been hoping to spend only around $100 or so on a video card and know that a TV tuner card would set me back another $50 or so.

A total of $150 Cdn. or roughly $100 US. I clicked on the link for the Radeon 8500 DV and see that it sells for substantially more than that. I'll have to think about how badly I want to capture video on my computer given it looks like it will cost quite a bit more.

Since the games I like can be supported by relatively old cards I'm thinking a generic cheap video card plus a TV tuner will be far cheaper.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I may still get the Radeon.

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Allan:

It's a LITTLE more than you wanted to spend, but the All-In-Wonder 7500 fits the bill fairly well too, as long as you're not planning on running Unreal Tournament 2003-grade visuals on your computer. It retails for a more reasonable $131.99 American. The no-recorder, no-TV-tuner 7500 sells for $80, and considering the add-ins you get on the All-In-Wonder series (S-Video/Composite in, TV Tuner, RF remote), plus the namesake all-in-one design; I'd say its highly preferable to get an All-In-Wonder rather than buying a graphics card and a TV Tuner card seperately.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Another recommendation for an AIW 7500. I have a $115 GF4 & an $80 TV Tuner and although I like the output, I'd rather have an all-in-one card. I miss the ease of use and build quality of my old Matrox Marvel G400. [​IMG]

8. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

Brian and Scott, many thanks for the recommendation.

I will get the 7500. The little bit extra will be worth it to have it all in one card.