Buying a new computer - need advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChadM, Jul 29, 2004.

1. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

I am going to buy a new computer soon and have a question.

In order to transfer analog 8mm home movies to dvd, what special features should I look for?

Also, has anyone transferred tape around here? How did it come out? How involved is the process?

Thanks,

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Are you buying laptop or desktop? If desktop you could look for a video card with rca and/or s-video inputs on it. If getting a laptop you will need to buy some extra equipment for about $50-$100. To hook this equipment to your computer you'll need to have preferably either USB2.0 ports or firewire ports. Lots of people have transferred to DVD. The quality is good, but not as good as if you'd shot with DV originally.

3. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

It will be a desktop.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

If you were transferring from MiniDV I would suggest a IEEE 1394 FireWire card. As Seth said, look for a card with S-Video or RCA inputs. Also, you could consider a TV capture card or something similar. I think an All-In-Wonder woujld do the trick. I'm not sure though.

Once you've got all that, finding the software to capture it should be an easy task, as most all in one editing suites that come with DVD players and such include capture software.

5. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

If you are going to be capturing, you will need hard drive space and lots. I would recommend getting at minimum two drives, a smaller one for the applications and operating system, and then a second large drive, 200+ for capturing. I would also recommend a P4 or A64 processor, not Celeron as the MPEG conversion will take time.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just get a decent sized harddrive. Video capturing/archiving can take up a lot of gigs.

If you want really good quality caps I'd recommend choosing a Hauppauge PVR-250/Blackbird tv card.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Check out this recent thread I posted some good info in you may be interested in:

HERE

Awesome deal and I can't wait till mine arrives Monday (sale ends TONIGHT BTW!)

Alfer