What's new

Buying a Mitsubishi widescreen - should I get the built in HD or not? (1 Viewer)

Kent Nelson

Agent
I am looking at a 65 inch gold plus, platinum or silver plus. The silver plus does not have the built in hdtv receiver, and is the cheapest of the three. My question is: is there any benefit to the built in unit when I am going to buy the directv hd gear anyway to get the satellite hd?

I have been looking at the pictures of the backs of the units and the built ins have a firewire connection - would this be useful for a later upgrade of some sort?

To sum it all up: does the built in hd receiver do anything other than get network hd out of the air?

Thanks for any response.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just Network and PBS for the most part. Only you can decide if it is worth it or not. HDTV Tuners can be found for $200 fairly easily, so I tend to lean to the side of not getting it included, but, for many they make a ton of sense still, especially if the cost with -vs- without is only $100 or less.

GeraldK

Agent
Kent, I'd first check out the network broadcasters in your area. Chances are strong that in the Chicago area, most if not all of the major networks are broadcasting in HD OTA. If that's the case, I'd probably go with an internal (built-in) tuner, assuming that the price difference between the same unit without is not excessive. Using both the built-in and the external HD box would allow you to get HD on the TV's PIP function. Not being familiar with Sat HD boxes, I'm not sure if the HD PIP is available on them or not, so take that idea with a grain (or two) of salt.

Honestly, I doubt if a built in HD reveiever will help you unless you live in an area where HD signals are stong and plentiful and you think you need to drop DirecTV in the future.

I get all my HD from DirecTV. Watched the Superbowl in HD on CBS-E. Good stuff.

You'll like the Mitsubishi 65 inch screen; I've got one myself. Great, great picture with the built in line quadruppler, everything is clean and sharp.

BTW: Consumer Reports puts satellite TV as the best value for TV over cable (analog or digtal).

jk3

http://www.y2kfam.com/theater.htm

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
We went through the same dilema. There are some differences between the non-HD-tuner models and the tuner-incorporated models other than the presence of the tuner. I do not remember what they are though!

We love our mitsu :)

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
If you are getting a DirectTV HD receiver from them, it will have an ATSC tuner built in (as well as NTSC) so you don't need a tuner in the TV to get OTA HD. At least that's my understanding. Mine is scheduled for installation Friday.

My concern at this point is that the DirecTV receivers don't appear to have a "pass through" for the antenna (the TV out is CH3 or CH4), so I'll have to use a splitter if I want to use the two tuners in the TV for POP funtcions. Our current RCA receivers have an "antenna" button on the remote which seems to be missing on the Hughes and Samsung HD models.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

Which Mits model do you have? I'm considering the WS-65413. I have a Hughes E-86 Directv receiver that also pulls in OTA stuff (with an antenna of course) and cable signals, so no need for a built in HDTV tuner for me.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
Kent,

I went with the WS65711. IIRC, When you go with the Diamond Series, you get a better TV than the others without the integrated HD tuner. I've got an antenna in the attic and I get all OTA signals from Chicago and I live in Naperville. If you get this TV, I HIGHLY recommend getting it ISF calibrated (see my other posts). It's just too big not to look perfect.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I love my 65" HD ready Mitsu, Can't remember which model,
especially cause I got it new, for $2,100, two years ago......

Kent Nelson

Agent
Thanks for all of the replies - all great points.

My next question (especially for those in the Chicago area) is where did you guys find the best deal? The guy at Tweeter told me $2500 for the silver plus (ws65413) hd upgradable model and $3100 for the gold plus integrated model. I have heard that ABT electronics can beat those prices - any experience with them? I am still considering a platinum model, but probably not the diamond because I will be getting the hd sat receiver and some other equipment which will push the cost up pretty high.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
Kent -

I HIGHLY recommend that you check out Barrett Home Theater. I couldn't recommend them any higher. Outstanding service, the very best installation, unparalleled ISF calibration, AND they beat ABT's prices! I got mine at the one in Naperville. If you check with that store, as for John Wetlauffer - manager. Their new showroom, although not as comprehensive at ABT, is absolutely breathtaking.

And no, I don't work there.....

PatrickDT

Grip
Kent.

Keep in mind here that HD decoding hasn't stopped development now that HDTV exists, I would recommend that you hold off on the built in tuner, that way you're not tied down to the technology that the built in tuner is made up of, besides, a lot of services will let you rent a box for less than 10 bucks a month.

KalaniP

Grip
I have a Mitsu WS-65411 that I adore. I figure I saved $500 by skipping the upgrade to the one with the HD tuner. I live in LA, where HD channels are plentiful, but as a Tivo addict, I have no interest in live TV until I can Tivo it, so I figure that $500 I saved will serve me well when I put it toward the HD DirecTivos that are coming out later this month.

I can't wait! :D

Plus, I'm against built in as a general rule of thumb, since built in can seldom be upgraded if/when standards change. I say save the money and put it towards an external tuner, once you find one you like. Enjoy your set! (Don't forget to calibrate it with DVE or Avia, though!)

-Kalani

I live in Bolingbrook,IL. I bought the Mits 65513 with the built in tuner. Bought it at Best Buy and then got a price match, due to Sears running a sale. I'm glad I got the built in tuner, because Directv hasn't enough programming available yet. I already had an OTA antenna and the pictures are absolutely stunning. The delivered price was 2815.00 after taxes and price match. Best Buy will haggle on price, I didn't know that. Got the store manager involved, and he didn't want a sale lost.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Kent, if you're thinking about the DirecTV HD upgrade deal, be sure to check out this thread at avsforum. I saw a link to it here yesterday after it was too late for me to try negotiating with them, but it looks like a lot of people in your area have been successful in getting the upgrade for little or nothing.

Kent Nelson

Agent
Dick, thanks for that HD satellite link! If I can get in on that deal I will have some extra cash for other upgrades.

I am leaning towards the silver plus model after doing some research - but I also like the platinum model. Thanks again for all of the great replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks