What's new

Buying a large TV online help--never done it before (1 Viewer)

JeffRome

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Rome
Thinking of buying a 65 inch plasma online. Can't find the one I want locally and like the savings anyway. How does it work if you get a lemon? Do I generally have to pay return shipping? How about extended warranties--are they honored well in general? How does shipping work for extended warranty returns? THANKS!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You have to do your research on the retailer, the manufacturer, the model of the display and the warranty company.

Google the model number of the tv and see if there's any re-accurring problems. Do the same with the manufacturer. If the on-line retailer has a brick and morter store check the BBB in their city. Read the fine print on the tv's warranty and of the extended warranty. Leg work.

And most of all make sure the on-line retailer is an authorized dealer. You can verify this on the manufacturers website.

I'd feel more comfortable dealing with a known retailer like Amazon, Onecall, Vanns, Dell, etc. But it doesn't mean there won't be problems. But you can reduce the risk.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Onecall sent me a sub with a bad LED light on it, and wanted me to pay to ship to return it to them. As it was only the light, I just decided to keep it. But I haven't ordered a damn thing from Onecall.com since then.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Costco is a good choice. The shipping is usually free, and if there's a problem you can return it to a local B&M. (As a bonus they have a great return policy.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Costco does have great deals and a great return policy.

The one thing you have to be careful of is that on occasion, Costco (and Sams, Wal-Mart, sometimes even Best Buy) get very slightly altered versions of the products (be sure to check the product number VERY carefully). The changes are not very obvious but can sometimes be features that you specifically wanted or needed.

Modifying the product allows them to offer it at a reduced cost, while providing some measure of protection for other retailers who are not required to price match, since it's a different model.

I'm not AT ALL discounting Costco (I have a membership myself and would definitely check them out if I was in the market for anything) but you have to be careful and diligent in your research.

Best of luck!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Costco does have great deals and a great return policy.

The one thing you have to be careful of is that on occasion, Costco (and Sams, Wal-Mart, sometimes even Best Buy) get very slightly altered versions of the products (be sure to check the product number VERY carefully). The changes are not very obvious but can sometimes be features that you specifically wanted or needed.

Modifying the product allows them to offer it at a reduced cost, while providing some measure of protection for other retailers who are not required to price match, since it's a different model.

I'm not AT ALL discounting Costco (I have a membership myself and would definitely check them out if I was in the market for anything) but you have to be careful and diligent in your research.

Best of luck!

A couple of years ago Costco was offering a great deal on a 52" Sony LCD but a check of the model # revealed it was a slightly different version. Looking at the spec's it was hard to tell the difference. A Sony Store manager told me the Costco version had a different picture processing engine. But not all of the Sony sets that Costco sells are special runs. As Jason says you have to check the model numbers.

Two months ago I got a good deal on a Nikon DSLR. $250 less than anywhere else I could find it and it came with stuff not normally bundled with the camera at other places. Costco has a 90 day return policy on all electronics for any reason not just defects.

JeffRome

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Rome
Thanks. I'm torn between one of the Samsung PN7000s or one of he 60 inch LGs.

I'll check out Costco--I assume you have to be a member to order online. Thanks.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I bought my panasonic tcp50gt25 tv set from amazon. I have heard that some people had nightmare with the company that brought the tv. mine was very nice and no problems. it certainly worked better then I had thought. it was my first time ordering a tv from online company. the online deal was too good to let go. 999 for the price of the tv. best of luck on what you do.

Jacob

LailaSmith01

Auditioning
Real Name
Laila Smith
amazon and ebay are good sites to buy. but still id recommend going to an actual store for an expensive tv.

................................................................................................................................................................

Pet Gates, FAST SHIPPING Wide Dog Gates, Tall Dog Gates, Free Standing Pet Gate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks