Buying A House. Should I go IB???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe Tilley, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have thought about this for a long time now, & now I will have the chance to do it. My wife & I are buying a house that has a room that is almost perfect for what I've been waiting to do. I have wonted too do an IB for some time now but cant due to renting. As it is the room is app 13"wide by 25" deep with a 8'celing. What I had planed on using is most likely 4 Dayton 15"DVC's.
    Now here is what I'm not sure of. The roof comes down at the front side of the room so to do a baffle in the attic it would have to come out from the wall about 6' to 8'. There is a crawl space under the room but it's pretty dusty & I don't know if I'd wont to expose the drivers to all the dust & cold. So what I'm getting at I guess is I could go either way, but I would prefer the ceiling over the floor, unless there would be a benefit of one over the other.
    I do know there would be much more sq ft in the attic than the crawl space as it is open to the whole house. Where as the crawl space is much more confined since it is only under this one room. The floor to me makes a little more since just for the fact that it will be more solid. But I just don't know if I wont a big hole in the floor.
    Anyway what would be the pro's & con's of either way? Or will I possibly see the same results with ither configeration. I'll have the space to do just about whatever I wont I'm just not sure what would be best.
    Thanks for any suggestions...

2. Joe Tilley

One other thing, How much difference would I get out of going IB? Right now I'm using a 220 liter sono with a single 15" Dayton DVC tuned to 17hz. I love the way it sounds but I can never stay away from the idea of going one better. What I'm after is something that will perform well all around. I use my system for mostly movie's but I do listen to quite a bit of music as well. And I don't wont to end up with something that's not going to sound good with one or the other.
    Thanks again....

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The sound quality of an IB has no equal. Other subs may play as loud; but nothing I've ever heard provides not only the very low frequencies but the very high level of detail.

There is no sonic benefit to attic vs crawl space. Just use whichever is easiest. Most drivers are built to withstand a car environment so the temperature extremes in a crawlspace aren't problematic.

I use both my IB's for both music and HT. If they seem a little dry for you, just dial in a bit of boost for DVD soundtracks

Checkout the FAQ and gallery pages in the "IB Cult" link in my sig to get more info.

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I'm also getting ready to buy a house... I'm gonna guess that I'm going to want a little bit of separation between me and my neighbors. I'm thinking that I'll be loading four 15" drivers into the attic, and powering 'em with a pro sound amp, probably also stuffed up in the attic. Or maybe I'll just hang it in the basement, like the 12 dancing shivas, only smaller...

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Just so you know Stryke is running another preorder for the AV15 MkII, they're only $165/ea[​IMG]. It's a significan't jump in potential output for not too much more. Four DVC15's certainly wouldn't dissappoint though.

6. Joe Tilley

Frank, I would love to do the AV15's but I gave up on them long ago.
    What I would really like to do is all Tumult's but, 1 my wife would have my ass & 2 I couldn't afford 4 of them & amp to run them if I took out a loan:b

Something I am curious about. Has anyone tryed the Dayton IB subs yet. I just favor the DVC because I know how it performs. But would the IB sub be better to go with over the DVC's?

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If you check the Cult forum and it's archives, you'll find information about both the Dayton IB and DVC drivers.

Also you'll find posts from Jerry McNutt (aka McJerry), he's an engineer from Eminence, they build the drivers for PE

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Why did you give up on them?

9. Joe Tilley

Thomas, I have looked around the Cult on a few occasions, but I will definitely be looking around there some more. I'm trying to get as much info as possible & from what I have seen that is a very good source.

Frank, the reason I said I've given up on the AV15 is that I have never yet in the last year seen them in stock. I may just be looking at the wrong times but every time I've checked they were on backorder. I would no doubt go with them if they had them in stock when I'm ready to build. But if not I'm not willing to waite for who knows how long on a pre order. The only reason I say that is from all the people I have seen around here with pre orders that have waited several weeks or months to get there orders.

10. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Joe, for what it's worth, I have an IB with two 15" Dayton IB drivers and a 250 watt amp. Although the dimensions of my room are different from yours, the volume of the room is slightly greater. I have the amp set at about 1/8th of full power and the subwoofer output setting on the pre/pro at -10db. With those settings, I get full reference output. If I had four drivers, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the output down to reference.

ThomasW said, "Other subs may play as loud

I would add to that, other subs costing A LOT MORE MONEY. [​IMG]

Here's a link to a page about my subwoofer.

IB Subwoofer Construction and Review

11. Joe Tilley

12. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

I have to turn the amp almost all the way down and turn the subwoofer output on my pre-pro almost all the way down to keep the levels at reference. If I had four drivers, I'm afraid that even if I turned the amp all the way down, I'd still be putting out more than reference.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

14. Joe Tilley

Chris, Your using the PE plate amp right? maybe four of them would be overboard for what I wont. It's not that I really see ever using four subs to there full potential, its more of a just if I wonted too things.
    Dose anyone see any problems with making the manifold like I described & only two subs in it? I'm all for saving money so if just two subs & a smaller amp would give me good output I'm all for it. I would just rather think ahead alittle & have the manifold ready for four just incase. I could use my current PE amp & DVC that I have right now, & all I would need is some MDF & one more sub.

Robert, How soon are you planning to have yours up & running. I wont be moving into my new house until mid Dec so I still have plenty of time to plan things, & would be interested to see how you's turns out.

Nevermind Chris, I just looked at your web page again about the amp. So I take it your pretty happy with the Dayton IB subs. I've looked some for info on them as far as people using them, but havent found a whole lot on em.

15. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

Add me to the list of folks who can strongly recommend the Dayton IB subs.

I have a pair of 15" drivers in a manifold in the attic. They are being driven by a PE 250W plate amp. I figure I've got a bit under $500.00 invested in the whole thing including the BFD.

The room is 15' X 30' with a ceiling that rises from 10' up to a maximum height of 19'.

The plate amp is set at about 40% and my pre/pro is at -7 db. The sub is fully capable of putting out insane bass. I keep it at more "sane" levels though.

Personally I lean more toward the music side rather than movies but the subs performance with both aspects is very good. I tend to listen at the upper end of moderate levels with occasional forays into the "insane" volume levels. Depends on what I'm listening to.

I'm currently in the process of dialing-in the room response using a BFD. A BFD is another highly recommended piece of equipment.

If you have the space (I.E. attic or crawl space) and don't mind the construction (and destruction) aspects of installing an IB, I don't believe that there's a "boxed" sub out there that can touch it for the money.

16. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Just wanted to say that this thread is very interesting. I love the pics! Good luck, Joe. [​IMG]

17. Joe Tilley

One other issue of concern. As far as outside noise goes should I be worried. I know right now my single sono carries quite a bit, I can go to my friends across the street & hear it quite well. Cause the last thing I wont to do is be a nucence to my neighbors. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad unless I'm playing it farley loud, but its the lower bass that carries with my current sub & if an IB can play even lower I don't wont the cops knocking on my door every time I watch a movie.

18. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

19. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

I take it your pretty happy with the Dayton IB subs.

Very happy.

Lower isn't the same as louder.

Speaking of lower, not only does my IB sub put out full reference, it does so down to 16hz. In fact, there is no substantial drop in output until 14 hz.

20. Joe Tilley

I think you took what I said wrong, or I may even be off on my thinking. I was just assuming that since lower frequencies carry more (or at least to the best of my knowledge) it could possibly cause more complaints. Again I may just be thinking wrong, I've just never heard an IB set up so I'm not sure what to exspect.

Thanks for the info Chris, I may just go ahead with the IB's if thats the case. I've been really happy with my DVC so I would think their IB subs would be just as nice.