Buying a house-Lien

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey folks, I'd like to pick the collective mind known as AHL. I'm kind of looking to buy a house and haven't never done such a thing, I have a question. I looked at a small place near me today and was given a disclosure sheet, on it. I noticed something odd. In the section of mortgages, liens, encumberances, it mentions a lein: "Government Home Improvement grant to be paid upon sale of home". What does that mean, is that something I (the buyer) would have to pay or would the seller have to pay that off?

Also, the owner was elderly and had the nice stone fireplace sealed (perhaps for heat or not), how difficult would it be to unseal it?

Also, it will eventually need a new septic system, roughly how much are we looking at replacement? I know where it is and it's original so we can assume it's probably in need of replacement. The house is an original cottage built by the once owner of the lake community so it's really rustic in a cabin sort of way...

Jay

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Not sure about the other two issues. But I do know a little about old fireplaces. People seal off old fireplaces for more than just the simple reason of closing up a big heat-loss hole in their house. You would need to get this inspected prior to purchase whether you want to use it or not.

Many times, the fireplaces have been deemed not safe to take heat from a fire any longer - interior mortar cracking or crumbling. Maybe the flu mechanism no longer functions properly.

Anyway, certainly have it looked at.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The lien would normally be the responsibility of the seller.

4. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

If you choose to buy the house, make sure that it is written ion the contract that the lien is to be paid off by the sellor as a condition of buying the house

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

As for your septic system, you'd have to have a perc test to determine what type of system the ground will support. You say this is an cottage home, but how old is it? Either way, I'm assuming the system is a holding tank with a leach field. If you replace that, it will probably run you between $5,000-$10,000. If the ground percs for a mound system, that would run in the $15,000 neighborhood.

Bruce

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks all, would a home inspector have the knowledge/experience to check the fireplace or is that more specialized?

As far as the septic system, I don't know much about it, other than the location of the tank. The house was built in 1937 but I don't know much about septic systems as my current residence is city sewar and water.

I'll certainly check the lien payer, it isn't clear on the disclosure sheet about the payment...

Jay

7. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

I'd check with a stone mason.

The Lien would have to be paid prior to closing or your Lender will not permit you to take title.

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Or some idiot destroyed it trying to install a wood stove that wasn't designed for that specific type of fireplace[​IMG] .

As i found out with my misfortune, home inspectors really aren't too smart when it comes to chimneys. Best to actually hire a chimney installation/cleaning company to come out and look at it if it worries you; in GA that ran about $75. But it would have saved me a $2800 repair if I would have done it before buying the house from the previous owner. If its a great fireplace, getting it unsealed and working is definitely in your interest, either for your use or for eventual resale.

Does it disclose the amount of the lien? Also for the septic system, is it possible to hook it into a now-existing sewer that wasn't around in '37 when the house was built?

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thought I'd update this: I contacted the agent who tells me it is the responsibility of the lien holder (the seller) to pay the lien off at time of sale so it's not me.

As far as the fireplace goes, I found a good home inspector from a friend of mine but I still have to decide if I'm going to bid on this. I don't think the previous owner ever had a wood burning stove there but I could be wrong. I'm going to go look at the house some more today.

I don't know how extensive the neighborhood is as far as the town sewer is concerned, many towns I know will force owners to convert to the town line if it's in the area and I know it's not cheap. I will ask...

Jay

10. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Even with a cost to hook up to city sewer, I would recommend doing it, especially if the septic tank is on the way out.

11. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

And even then, in many jusrisdictions, you will STILL be charged monthly sewage fees based on water consumption even without being hooked up!

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi folks, OK, no city sewar in the community so the point about hooking up is moot.

Is there some kind of test a septic company can do to see if the tank needs to be replaced? I would think that perhaps the company that cleaned it out in 5/2005 would be able to then gauge the life left in it, no? Perhaps they did, it is unclear, but I'm wondering if I would be able to just contact a company and have them check it out... Anybody know how much?

Jay