What's new

Buying a HomeTheatre (1 Viewer)

Justin

Auditioning
Hi everyone My name is Justin. I am a 17 year old audiophile. Im looking into buying a Lower end Home Theatre For Gaming and Watching dvd movies. I don't Have alot of money To spend Thats why i need your help. I think I can afford about a $1000 (CDN) system right now, I know thats not going to get me anywhere near onkyo or Albert Von Shweikert, But Im looking for suggestions On something that may be floating around the market, Something that is a good bang for the buck. Currently i am running a customized system with a marantz 4217(i think) reciever and some Speakers I designed myself Using an older set of pioneer liquid cooled 10" drivers that my dad passed down to me when he bought a lifestyles 50. Im also using a technics tape deck, and i have a technics 300watt reciever with external digital tuner (Circa 1983) And an older techics pro turntable(My vinyl's knight in shining armor:)] I love this system to death. But it is too large To use in my room And it doesn't have surround sound or Any digital sound modifications.

The room I plan on putting it in is roughly 20x18 feet open concept. If there are any systems floating around out there That you think might apply to my budget and preferably something with Half decent Quality Please let me know I would be Very gratefull.

Feel free to E-mail Me or contact me on MSN messenger My adress is [email protected]. Thanks ^_^

Justin

Auditioning
That e-mail adress i gave was we_are_all_ the underline covered the underscoring :thumbsdown:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a DVD player already?

Are you going to need a new tape deck?

Can you sell either of your old recievers to get more money?

Do you want a $1000 reciever/6-speaker package now or a decent receiver + main L/R set-up until you can afford surrounds, center, & subwoofer?

Justin

Auditioning
I want a seperate system, Im gonna Put the stereo i have now in the workshop. And ill put the new one in my room. I looked on the circuit city website and i saw an onkyo reciever+speakers+sub for only $549.99 USD. I think i Can drive down to New York and pick it up for about $800 or so CDN depending on what they charge me at the border. Only thing im unsure about is weither or not it is good. I don't need something outrageously powerfull because My money is being spent on the new sony PSX 250gb entertainment system ($950 USD *sweats*) But i really don't want to go anything other than a bose, onkyo, Or possibly Infinity for speakers. I still plan on upgrading my current system. I am in love with the marantz receiver :b What do you guys suggest?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Your posting is somewhat difficult to understand as to what you are looking to buy....however:

But i really don't want to go anything other than a bose, onkyo, Or possibly Infinity for speakers.
Onkyo is an electronics company and their speakers are not universally regarded good (they have a few loyal supports however). Bose is a snake-oil marketing company that you shouldn't consider wasting (and you will waste it) money on. Infinity is better know for their mobile (car) speakers and are a tad on the expensive side (but not altogether bad).

Of the three companies Infinity is the best, but for an aspiring "audiophile" such as yourself you should make it your next mission to get in a car and drive to a dealer of reputable speakers (You'll find a whopping list of manufacturers in the speaker section, but Axiom and Paradigm are the most commonly spoken-of "budget" brands).

And to my knowledge there exists no HTiB or other "package" speaker deal that includes a subwoofer worth owning for less than $1000. You'll do better splurge on your primary speakers until you can purchase a quality SW for a reputable SW company (SVS, Hsu, and Adire Audio are always popular on the boards).

Justin

Auditioning
Thanks guys, You are right, BOSE just isn't what they should be for the money. Although My fathers lifestyles 50 system blew my mind away. In regards to ONKYO speakers, I have never actually heard them. But i have heard An ONKYO reciever/ amplifier paired with paradigms higher end model home theatre speakers. That was to die for. If you truly believe i will not be satisfied with the ONKYO reciever/speaker package then I should most likely take your advice on that. Another question about that i had was What i should buy first? Should i go maybe $1000 ONKYO reciever+ paradigm/Infinity main speakers? or should i buy just the reciever/speakers first? (basically if $1000 reciever+main speaker would be something i would be satisfied with)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks