Buying a 'Home Theater in a Box' system..which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew*Jones, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Hello,
    I really don't have the money right now to buy all the componets seperatly (I just bought my first HD ready TV - the Samsung 3298HF), so I want to get a home theater in a box system. I currently own the Kenwood HTB505 which is great, but it doesn't have any componet inputs. Since I have an HD tv now I want to take advantage of 480p in games and DVDs, so I need something that can take at least 3 componet inputs (DVD, Xbox, PS2).

Can anyone reccomend a good one? Or, is there some sort of "componet switcher" that would allow me to just plug the video into the TV and run my sound through my current Kenwood system?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

And actually, I could just buy a new reciever and keep my speakers...maybe that is the way to go?

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i would go with denon avr1803. the price is the same with high quality component video switcher. if i am not mistaken it also has 3 component video inputs, and the wattage would be more than enough for your kenwood speakers.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 1803 only has 2 component video inputs. Unless you're playing SOCOM (or one of the other few PS2 games that are progressive scan), S-Video would be just as good a connection for your PS2.

Hope this helps.

5. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Thanks for the recommendation. Any others, or does that seem like the best one?

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Andrew, a quick scan of the Comparison Chart shows that only the high-end receivers have 3 HD compatible inputs.
    (And frankly, it's a bit of over-kill to replace the receiver for this one feature.)
    A component switch box would be a better choice. Radio Shack has some inexpensive ones. like the 15-1977 for $60 (this one uses a remote)
    You can also try www.markertek.com for more professional gear.

7. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Thank you for the info. I actually was hoping I could find a hi-def switcher, but I definitly need something because I want to run all my games in progressive scan if I can, and I want my DVD player to run in progressive scan.

Thank You,
    Andrew

8. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Went to Radio shack, but the 15-1977 only has S-Video (and composite). They didn't have any models there that offer component switching. I am still looking, hopefully I will find something.

Andrew

9. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Andrew: The PS2 really doesn't have many games that run in HD. The S-Vid connection will probably be fine for the PS2.

If you're willing to go a little high, the Yamaha HTR-5590 has 2 Wideband Component inputs and 1 out. Its worth considering.