What's new

Buying a Denon x4000 or Onkyo 929 need help (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I Have a older B&K AVR507 receiver that ive had since new from 2002. While an amazing receiver I want the new options on the receivers of today,My speakers are the problem, they are the Polk Audio LSi series that are 4ohm, I also use a SVS Ultra sub that has a separate amp.So deciding on one of these 2 new receivers , Onkyo said the 929 would handle 4ohm speakers but I haven't seen anything about the Denon X4000? I don't want to run sep amps for my speakers so if the Denon cant handle the 4ohm I would go with the new Onkyo.Any suggestions for me?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only Denon that won't implode on 4ohm is the 4520. Older Denon like the 4311 and 3312(I think) are fine as well. Denon essentially stopped certifying for 4ohm.

Stick with Yamaha Aventage(800 and up) or Onkyo.

However if you decide to take your fronts off and use a dedicated stereo amp and let the AVR handle the rest, then go ahead and buy the 4000(or even the 2000) since you get pre-outs. But every AVR in the price range is going to have pre-outs anyway.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo, this year, continues to irritate me...

The 929, on Onkyo's page, shows as features "has and has nots"

Has composite video HDMI up-conversion, but not component video up-conversion(What? Really?). It also says it only scales 480i and 576i(which makes sense with no component up-conversion).

It also says it doesn't have Pure or Pure Direct. Seriously? That many people aren't listening to "non-corrected" sound any more?

But it does get "separate power supply". It shows 9.1 amp off the wall with a "no sound" power requirement of 120. So 8.1 amps are dedicated for audio performance...or 972 watts. Even if you consider 50% efficiency loss...almost 500 watts just for audio...yeah, it is stacked.

And the most perplexing. But, maybe this is a sign of the times. All of the X2X (currently up on Onkyo) have lost their pre-programmed remote with bi-directional GUI set-up. They now offer learning. I guess "ipad/android/kindle control" is what they expect you to do now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This here is why it is helpful to always download the OM for what you want to potentially purchase...instead of looking just at spec sheets.

The 929(and presume down to the 626, at least) still does have a pre-programmed remote with bi-directional GUI set-up. Onkyo had me worried that one of their signature "we're easier than everyone else" features had been left in the dust.

It still has Pure Audio mode(thank God)

And the component is still sent to the HDMI(almost started to think Onkyo went off the deep end).

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks bud,

I think ill stick with the Onkyo, I contacted them and they said it will handle all 7 of my 4ohm speakers as long as I don't mix and match with other impedance speakers like 8ohm etc.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With 500 watts(after reducing for in-efficiency) on board /7...you still have 70 per channel. More than enough to run you out of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks