What's new

Buying a cheap sub amp plate (1 Viewer)

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, they are the same thing, except the Adire model comes with the 'bass boost' already modified to act as a better subsonic filter. There's a link to a pdf on the PE site explaining how to modify the boost, which includes a very helpful table for custom response.
------------------
bgarcia

MattE

Grip
I believe later versions are coming with the bass boost disabled. I have the Adire amp and I just picked up the 250W PE amp with remote (for $138!) That amp is slick, it's got motorized volume and crossover knobs controlled with the remote. You can mount the plate amp out of the way and the volume control/x-o panel (w/ IR pickup) on the front of the enclosure.

MattE

Grip
Bass boost [usually] improves low frequecy output, it can help the sub play deeper. The disadvantages are that it can also bottum a sub more quickly (evident by popping,) especially in the home theater environment. In this case it's not adjustable, I'd rather select the boost on my receiver if/when I need it.
Patrick, I'm going to mount the panel as close to a corner as possible. I'll build the grill "around" the panel to so it's visible (hopefully it looks good.) The sub (Tempest 4 cubes sealed) sits next to the TV in the entertainment unit so this works out nice. I haven't gotten to the box yet either, I'm finishing up the front end of Vance D's HT speaker design.

Andrew_Chan

Agent
What is the dimension of your sealed box?
I d/l a program and typied in the spec of the shiva driver and it calculated it would require about 66L seal box or a 132L ported box, are those figures correct? I am thinking about a sealed box because it is smaller and easier to build and there is less thing that can go wrong.
BTW, where do people buy those piano paints that looks really shiny ?

Brian_E

Auditioning
MattE and Pat,
Make sure you read my post over on the PE board about the 300-793 Amp.
You're gonna want to modify this amp before you use it.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
From what I gather you can't "buy" a piano paint. Its all in the effort. Check out the thread on finishing MDF that just started up, someone describes the laborious steps involved in getting that nice piano finish.
Also, check out Patrick Sun's trials and tribulations getting a piano finish he was happy with for one of his Sunosub projects. The links are usually at the bottom of ones of his posts.
Robin

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Damn, so which amp would be better for the Tempest? the ADA250 from Adire or the one like it from PartsExpress?
Mike

Andrew_Chan

Agent
I think they mean that eith way you'll have to mod it, so the cheaper one will do. Can some one point me to the link where it describe how to mod the sub amp from the PE site? I can't find it. Also, if I want to make a small sealed box, should I go with Shiva or Tempest?

MattE

Grip
Andrew, there are 28L in a cubic foot. The Adire amp comes with the equivelant of only 1db of boost at 25Hz, quite nice. If you don't want to modify it go with that one. The PE amp with the remote at $140 is nice even if you have to modify it. The product description for the 250W PE amp has a link for disabling the bass boost.

Andrew_Chan

Agent
Sorry Mike, I am not asking how many litre is in a cubic foot, I am asking how much volume should a seal box for a shiva be?

Brian_E

Auditioning
Andrew,
That's a very generic question. Try forming an intelligent, specific question and your chances of getting an answer increase dramatically.
To help aid in this, you might want to download Adire Audio's version of LspCAD here . This would be the optimal program for determining what size enclosure works best with the Shiva for a given set of requirements.
Good luck.

Andrew_Chan

Agent
but I thought shiva is so popular in this forum and every would have enter the same thing into lspcad and the final dimension would all be the same. Can you please do it for me and tell me the Height, Length, width, I have no idea how to work w/ this program

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A good test for the ability to make a decent sub is the ability to use a simple program like LspCAD. Don't demand information in CAPS when you can't formulate an informed question. For instance, what Qtc do you desire?
Another painfully obvious thing to do is visit the Adire site, where the plans are in the Shiva Apps page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks