What's new

Buying a Blu Ray player: what to watch for? (1 Viewer)

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I realize that this has mostly been a discussion about audio, but I have a video question... I'm thinking of purchasing a Blu-ray player, but I still have my old Toshiba 1080i rear projection TV with no HDMI. Is it worth getting a Blu-ray player if I am going to be forced to hook it up via component cables? Also, I remember reading that the studios have the ability to downgrade non-HDMI signals to 480p on Blu-ray discs. Have any studios actually done this? Thanks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Carl,

BluRay should still look better than OTA high definition TV on your 1080i component video TV. The main thing you'll miss out on without HDMI is the ability to upconvert SD-DVD's to anything better than 480p, since HD upconversion is not supported over component video.

I am not aware of any BD titles than are forcing downrezing to 480p over component.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Scott. Good information...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Hey Jeff, I'm in the same boat as Gary is. I finally got my S550 yesterday from Amazon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got it hooked up , went through the audio settings menu and did get sound from each channel using the test tone process. MY question too is, Now that my S550 IS GOING to be doing to processing, I want to make sure each channel is as close to 75 db as possible. Can you explain alittle further what is the process to going about achieving the 75 db calibration for each channel using the S550?
I have a spl meter. Do I turn up my volume on the receiver so it registers 75db on the meter? I did this last night , but when I went through each speaker test tone , it seemed all the channels were already reading 75db. And I really didn't need to mess with each channel setting to get them to read 75db. But when I played a regular dvd, ( i don't have any blu-ray at home yet) it seemed way to loud in each channel. Especially the sub. What do you recommend on setting the sub volume level to?
thanks for any info .you can explain to me for this,
TroyH

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The 75 DB/channel calibration is what is called the "reference level" - Setting your receiver to the 0 level, then adjusting the speaker levels so all of the channels read 75 DB - with a possible 10 DB jump for the sub if you wish (85 DB) - if you want an even system, set the sub level also to 75 DB- then - if you actually wanted to listen to anything at this level, it would in theory match what is calibrated at the movies...Most people find this level to be way to loud (as you found out) - and being your own system, you have the option to turn it down. If I want to listen to a movie in "loud" mode, I will usually go to -20 from reference on my system - but the channel levels will remain even from the calibration.

On the calibrated system - the levels will be controlled by the sound design engineer - so if the sub seems too loud, it probably is in the source to make an effect.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yep, what Martino said. Most theaters don't play at reference because too many people complain. Pictures falling, furniture shaking, neighbors complaining loud for me is around -10 dB from reference. Like Martino, I usually listen about -20 dB.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Guys, Well, I enjoyed my very first BR title last night on my new Sony BDP-S550 ! We watched Eagle Eye and it was quite a ride ! I could definately tell the improved quality of the high def picture. And the sound was pretty incredible too.
My only complaint was during a few of the action scenes, my front Klipsch KLF-20s mains distorted a little and or rattled. They never did this when watching regular DD dvd's. I know the advanced codec soundtracks are much more dynamic and louder, but I didn't think I had my volume up that loud to where it would distort like this.
I was thinking of dialing down the front main levels in the setup menu on the S550. Do you think this would help? Any ideas on what I could do on preventing distortion to the mains? I don't feel the volume was at reference so I don't see how they could be rattling?
Thanks for any advice given,
TroyH

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks