Buying a 7.1 receiver...need advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mikeMeyerson, Nov 29, 2005.

1. mikeMeyerson

mikeMeyerson Auditioning

Hello, it's my first post...need some advice.

I working on a tight budget. Spent all my $$ on an addition on the house. Looking for a low price 7.1 receiver for my new TV room.

Anyone have any experience with the Kenwood VR-9070? Looks like it's packed with features and runs only about $350. I was also looking at the Sony STR-DE998 (same price range). Do I need to spend more $$ in order to get good quality? Any other suggetions would be appreciated.

The room is about 25x25. I'll be using either infinity primus or polk r-15 speakers.

THANKS!!!

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I'll suggest the Panasonic XR55 for best sound up to $500 (or even more). ($230 from Amazon)

The Sony DE series doesn't get glowing reports even from Sony-philes so I'd suggest scratching that out.

3. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

In a room that size you are going to need something hefty. Maybe something like a yamaha 2500. The Kenwood and that panny might have some trouble filling that room.

4. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I think the Panny is a good match for the speakers you're planning to run.

5. mikeMeyerson

mikeMeyerson Auditioning

thanks for the input guys. I'm going to wait to see the "after christmas" sales. Also been reading great things about the Pioneer vsx-1015tx...might be a better choice. I'll check out the panasonic too.

thanks
    ~mike

6. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Read up on the power of these pannys before you buy!! On this site alone there are many that have found the room they tried to use it in was too big for its output.

7. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Don't forget to compare it with the speakers that you're pairing it up with. A moderately powered amp section appears to match the smallish speakers you're planning to drive.

The speakers you've selected don't appear to be very efficient either. Bookshelves generally aren't. This will effect total output from the receiver for sure.

Anyway, if your listening position is not that far off from the speakers, you should be OK.

8. mikeMeyerson

mikeMeyerson Auditioning

Mike...can you recommend a more efficient speaker (for surrounds)? I'm on a tight budget. The polk r15's are all over ebay for around $50/pair new. If there's better for around $100-$150/pair I'd consider tham.

9. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

mikeMeyerson, The reciever should match the room. An underpower amp stage is very hard to make up for with efficent speakers. You can put 91db efficent speakers in that big ole room and still feel underpowered. Whatever you do, make sure you get the reciever from a place that it's easy to do returns. That way if you are not satisfied you can take it back.

10. mikeMeyerson

mikeMeyerson Auditioning

I'll probably go with the pioneer vsx-1015tx, I can get it for $399 shipped. Wont 120watts/channel be enough? The polk's are rated at 89db's, which are better than some. I've never had such a big room to deal with, so I don't really know what to expect. I have a small room now with an old 55watt onkyo 5.1 that was plenty.

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Mike, the 1015 is a fine choice.
    I think you'll be happy with it especially for the price.
    The MCACC works pretty well too!

Good luck and enjoy it.

12. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am also looking at the Pioneer 1015 kinda causually (dont even know if I want to upgrade or not) for use as a pre-pro only. I've got a 7ch power amp. Does the MCACC work out of the box or do you have to buy accessories like the mic or cables? Also, my room is over 800sq feet and the receiver is about 30' from the seating position. Will that be a problem using the MCACC? Also this is for Home Theater only and I have Mirage Omni series speakers and an IB sub.

Thanks