buying a 36 inch TV?.....help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Yeredin, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Phil Yeredin

Phil Yeredin Auditioning

Hi there
    I am moving to the states in September and am looking to get a reasonable but not over expensive TV and then a DVD player to go with it. I would like a decent 36 inch set that i can hook up with DVD and hi-fi later. I have looked at the sony sets and would appreciate any help in any other considerations. I am in to hi-fi and would be looking at getting the best pic and sound quality (natch) for my money. Any help would be really welcome.
    Thanking the community in advance
    Phil[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Phil Yeredin

Phil Yeredin Auditioning

i can't believe that no one has an opinion here.....you all must have equipment of your own, or desire etc.
    incidentally, i am going to buy from the states and have it delivered asap to my fiance there
    [​IMG]

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Phil,
    For direct view TV's, I'm partial to Sony since I can't afford Loewe...KD36XBR450 or the non-XBR high scan version KV36HS20(HDTV compatible). I really have my eye on their widescreen version (KD34XBR2) which has an HDTV receiver built in. Panasonic widescreen would be my 2nd choice (CT34WX20) w/o HDTV receiver since it is much more affordable. I wasn't impressed with the Philips sets (34PW9817).

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Phil --
    You might get more responses in the Display Devices (TVs, Projectors) forum. I'll move the thread there now.
    M.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I highly recommend the Sony 36XBR450.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have had good luck with JVC and I have friends who also like Toshiba.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If your looking for a cheaper model than the Sony's & etc take a look at the Samsung 36 inch sets. They have component video inputs & can do the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's & they can be had for under $600.