Buyers Remorse........

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andre D, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone. I recently purchased the Sony 999es from an authorized retailer for $742 including everything. However, after reading everything about the Denon 2900 I am beginning to think twice. Should I send the unit back and get the Denon or wait for newer models to come out? I do realize $742 including everything is still an excellent price for this player brand new, so that is another reason to hold on to it. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andre, keep the player. It is an excellent unit that has earned rave reviews in the A/V press and a following here. The Denon may be taking these boards by storm at present, but the 999 is a superb performer — one of the best players on the market.

3. Andre D

Thanks Jack, I feel a little better now about my purchase.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I don't think you should have remorse. There are several things better about the player you got. Sony's pic is a bit sharper. The Sony has a better remote, last memory on DVD's, a screen saver, and a longer warranty. I was choosing between the same two players and decided to go with the 2900. I must admit I've had a few chinks of remorse myself going the opposite way of your's. I suppose it's just natural... Both players have a few advantages.

Remember, from afar the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence. If you cross the fence and closely scrutinize the grass you may find it's not as green as you thought. Best wishes! [​IMG]

5. Andre D

Thanks Rachael. I was actually losing sleep because of this. I just want to be sure I'm getting my money's worth with this player.

6. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Don't see how you can lose as long as DVD-A is not a priority. The Sony's SACD performance is about as good as anything out there now and dvd video is excellent.

7. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

Andre,
    I have the 999ES also and I don't think you have anything to worry about. DVD and SACD perfomance are suberb and I couldn't be happier with it. The Denon 2900 is a great player also as I am very familiar with it too, and actually, I went to the Sony from a Denon DVM-3700 DVD changer which now has duty in the bedroom system. I was wooried that the Sony would not have the same warmth and smooth laid back quality that I had come to love about the Denon(for music playback)......and it doesn't, but the 999ES does sound warmer than my Sony CDPC701ES CD changer in my main system where the 999ES is also. I'm using a Denon receiver however and I think that it actually compliments and "warms" the sound of the 999ES up some... Anyway, enjoy your 999ES!!!!

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

You could use it as an SACD/CD player only: it's that good in the one department. Although, the chroma bug could be an annoyance if you.

The newest Marantz universal player is getting pretty darn good reviews too (better than the Denon 2900 in the audio department). It may not be quite as good (subtly) an SACD player as the 999ES, but it also does exceptionally well with DVD-Audio too.

Dan

9. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Dan: Are you referring to the Marantz DV6400?

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I also have a Sony DVP-S9000 ES and I got it for about $840 after tax and including a 10 yr extended warrenty. I have been happy with the performance but I still get layer change pauses with it. That is my only complaint and it has been in the shop and had a new laser assembly put in and aligned. The Denons are nice and it would be nice to have one of the upper line models with the video buffer that would eliminate layer change hickups. However I got a really good deal on my ES dvd/sacd player so I really cant complain really. Especially since repairs are covered until 2012 [​IMG] . At least your model playes DVD-R and CD-R's the 9000ES will not play ether. The 9000 ES if I remember correctly retailed for around $1600. I am not sure where the 999ES is in relation to the 9000ES? Would love to know if it is a better model or not? If anyone knows?

11. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Rachel sayeth:

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Dave, my 9000ES plays DVD-Rs just fine and most of the CD-Rs that I throw at it.

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Jim,

What brand of cd-r are you using I mostly have memorex cd-r and it will not even see the discs. I thought about it and I really have not tried dvd-r in it but i guess I assumed that it would not. The manual for the player if I remember does not even mentions dvd-r or cd-r's in it. I was blown away because my old Denon 1290 cd player will play cd-r's and I have had trouble getting my Sony to even see them. mmmmmmm wounder if I should take it back to the shop again?

Feel free to email me Jim would love to hear from you on this.

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Andre,

You should have no buyers remorse as many here have already said. However, the 2900 does play DVD-A and the Sony doesn't. No one has mentioned that fact here, but for me, that would be a problem since I like both formats (which is why I have a 2900). The video quality on the 2900 and 999es are excellent, though the 2900 did come out ahead of the Sony in the Secrets Benchmark testing. I could not soncially here a difference between the 999es and 2900 on SACD playback, and this is probably because they both use the same generation DSD chip and have very good build quality. I would keep the Sony if I were you (considering you have no interest in DVD-A) and just make sure that your next player is Universal imho.

Reg

15. Andre D

Thanks for all the input. At this point I am not really interested in DVD-A or SACD. I don't have the time to start playing around with that at the moment. I do watch movies, however. You guys made me feel much better about my purchase. I just want something that will keep me satisfied for a long time (a year?) without getting the crave to upgrade.

16. Andre D

Come to think of it, I've never had a player with SACD. Who knows, I may get into it after all! Can anyone recommend any reference material?

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon sounds awsum on SACD and I am sure that there are others as well. These are a few of my SACD's that I think sound very good.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Rolling Stones - High Tide And Green Grass
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
    Aerosmith - Oh Ya

I am also asuming that the SACD version of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me sound as good or better than the red book cd.

As far as the 999ES I agree that you should have no buyers remorse. You made a good purchase so enjoy [​IMG] . I have both dvd-a and sacd's in my collection. I however do not have a true dvd-a player so I end up listening to the dvd-a in ether dolby digital or dts depending on the disc. If you are interested in checking out dvd-a you can do the same thing. Playing dvd-a back on a actual dvd-a player is sapoused to net better audio but heck it sounds very good even when surround decoding in used.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Maybe I will see some of you at CES in Las Vegas in Januray [​IMG]

18. Andre D

Just letting everyone know that I couldn't take my mind off this. I finally threw in the towel and sent the Sony back yesterday without ever opening the box, even on Christams day. I ordered the Denon today. Thanks to everyone who made me feel better about my purchase. My next move is to sell my DA4ES and get the 3803.

19. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Andre- Your move to Denon from Sony looks pretty lateral. You do realise that you are giving up a 5yr warranty and gaining a 2yr? On the bright side you are gaining DVD-A which if important to you could make the trade worthwhile. Enjoy your new Denon's.

20. Andre D

Yeah, I do realize that. Believe me, I've been doing a lot of research between these two players since I received it. I've seen nothing but excellent reviews for the most part on the Denon. While the Sony also had good reviews, they tended to be somewhat mixed. The warranty played a role in my decision also, but I couldn't keep this unit based on the warranty alone. If that were the case, I guess I'd be driving a Hyundai (just joking)!