What's new

Buyers beware: the R1/R4 version of Monsters, Inc. is NOT widescreen (1 Viewer)

The R2/R4 version might have an average bitrate of 6.87Mbit/sec, but I don't see why that's "watered down". Aside from the fact that it's only marginally below the average rate of many so-called "superbit" discs, the bitrate graph for this disc shows that the data rate often gets up to 10Mbit/sec, and drops as low as 5. In other words, it's intelligently encoded, taking full advantage of VBR.

The most important thing, though, is that the picture quality is completely flawless. I can't see how raising the data rate on less complex scenes would have improved what's already there.

- Anthony

Matthew_F

Stunt Coordinator
About the bitrate between the CDN and US. The US is better overall or the CDN?

Even thou the figures were listed. I'm not quite sure because it's not the same person and the same software used to get the figures may not be the same either.

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Bitrate Viewer reports that the Japanese Region 2 release has an average bitrate of 7.6Mb/sec. A 768kbps DTS 5.1 soundtrack is included.

Olly Dean

HW Reviewer
the P&S crowd really got pimped!
I could be wrong here but I think the WS version has a higher bitrate because as it's anamorphic widescreen it has more data on the sides. Therefore there is more data coming in than on the same sequence in the FS version.

For the R2 version (UK R2, it could be different elsewhere) we got a 'Family Edition' which was the movie only with a fullscreen transfer and no special features, and then we had a special edition which was in a nice slip case and was basically the US version but with their FS transfer replaced with a DTS track.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
could be wrong here but I think the WS version has a higher bitrate because as it's anamorphic widescreen it has more data on the sides. Therefore there is more data coming in than on the same sequence in the FS version.
No, since it takes up the same physical screen data storage space as 4:3

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...I have to wonder: do you people ever watch THE MOVIE...?...
. . . :frowning: . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks