1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Buy your Hong Kong DVD's while you still can!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Brown, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unfortunately, no English subs so it's pretty moot

I'll continue to enjoy my VCD

2. Stewart Storrar

Matthew,
    This was posted on the HKL website on 3/14...I think you'll be pleased...
    "I have just begun sourcing and compiling materials for the forthcoming Platinum Editions for Seasonal Classics 'Snake in the Eagle's Shadow' and 'Drunken Master'
    The two disc editions will showcase brand new video and audio transfers to accomodate the original 2:35:1 aspect ratios and Cantonese Soundtracks.
    There will also be brand new animated menus, cast interviews, feature-length audio commentaries, and retrospective documentaries.
    I can't wait!!
    I am also currently working on another Platinum Jackie title to be released this year. I think you'll like it! Details coming soon!!
    Brian"
    The additional title mentioned in the last paragraph is Project A... [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

That's great news about the platinum editions. I really can't wait for PROJECT A.
    There is a controversy brewing with the recent HKL release of POLICE STORY 2. It appears that the image is cropped up to 20% instead of the usually 2% that HKL usually does to allow for print damage. HKL swears that this was not intentional and it was not done in the transfer process. It appears that they may have been given a cropped print to work with.
    Here is a link to the review. It contains a link to a screenshot of what has been cropped out.
    http://www.loveandbullets.com/policestory2.htm
    HKL is investigating the problem. Apparently, they still have the prints in their possession so they are checking it out.
    Matt

4. Paul Wheeler

Paul Wheeler Extra

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I just saw this thread and looked for Yes, Madam on HKFlix. They said it was out of print and additionally said:

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, HKFlix would just bankrupt themselves by fighting it. Disney has about 500,000x more money than they do.

YES Disney CAN stop the sale of these discs in the US, at the very least they can stop them at the border if they own the US rights to the title.

There are plenty of non-US based HK etailers to get the discs from, so I'm not too worried about it. In the meantime we've been trying to get them to understand that there is no need to cut and butcher, and ask them at the very least to cease this embargo, because if they won't give us the proper versions, they should allow us access to them through other means. We've made it very clear to them that if they touch one frame, we don't buy it

Signs are showing that some wheels are turning over there, but it's VERY slow

7. Matthew Brown

Jeff-

You are 100% correct on that. Pokerindustries.com and Yesasia also do not carry Yes Madam and the movies that Disney has, either. Even Tai Seng has dropped several titles because of Disney.

I am using THE KILLER and HARD BOILED as an excuse to call Disney and e-mail that I will not purchase them if the are cut, dubbed, and rescored. Actually, I won't purchase them if they aren't anamorphic, either. The same tranfers have been used for all the DVD's and LD's and I think they were first done in the early 90's so it's about time somebody did a new transfer.

Matt

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

P.S. This is how I see the situation legally:
    Suppose Paramount and Fox co-financed a movie and Paramount got US distribution rights and Fox got the non US rights. All of a sudden, Fox comes out with a DVD of this movie and starts selling it in the US.
    Paramount could successfully sue Fox for violating their contract. They could not, however sue Amazon, Uncle Vic's Video or HKFlix for selling it.
    In our real scenario, if some HK company sells Disney the US DVD rights to a movie and then keeps actively distributing the DVDs in the US Disney could certainly sue them for breach of contract. They can not however go after Amazon, et al. for importing/selling a DVD.
    In France for instance a law was passed prohibiting the sale of DVD imports under certain circumstances. There is no such law in the US, nor could there be due to the First Amendment.
    Ted
    P.P.S. For a recent story on Disney's legal adventures click here.

10. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

The world is not always fair. Just because Disney may be wrong, that does not mean HKFlix can go ahead and sell the DVDs.

11. Matthew Brown

Yes Madam is distributed by Tai Seng in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if it is unavailable very soon.

The following is a list of movies that TAI SENG announced as out of print last August. The odd thing is that the e-mail said EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. Usually DVD's just go out of print without a warning. Also, on the e-mail, it said to immediately withdraw these titles from your system. I guess the e-mail went to stores that sell Tai Seng DVD's.

DREAM LOVERS (VHS and DVD)

EASY MONEY (VHS and DVD)

HEROIC TRIO, THE (VHS and DVD)

EXECUTIONERS (VHS and DVD)

FLAMING BROTHERS (DVD)

GOD OF GAMBLERS (VHS and DVD)

GOD OF GAMBLERS RETURN (VHS and DVD)

HANDSOME SIBLINGS (VHS)

MASTER, THE (VHS and DVD)

MY FATHER IS A HERO (VHS and DVD)

PEKING OPERA BLUES (VHS and DVD)

PRISON ON FIRE (VHS and DVD)

PRISON ON FIRE II (VHS and DVD)

SWORDSMAN (VHS and DVD)

TIGER CAGE (VHS and DVD)

TIGER ON BEAT (VHS and DVD)

TRIADS--THE INSIDE STORY (VHS and DVD)

TWINKLE, TWINKLE LUCKY STAR (VHS and DVD)

WONDER SEVEN (VHS and DVD)

If you check the Disney list, every one of these is on it. These also will not be available at Amazon. Places like Amazon and other get their imports from Tai Seng. Even some places that sell imports like HIVIZONE sell Tai Seng distributed DVD's. This is why most titles at HIVIZONE are 5-11 dollars and CHINESE GHOST STORY is $18. The CHINESE GHOST STORY DVD is no longer listed on the Tai Seng site so I expect stores to stop selling it soon if they haven't already.

If Disney isn't threatening Amazon and others, it's because they are threatening Tai Seng. HKFLIX and the small companies sell the imports, which are in most cases the same exact DVD that Tai Seng distributes, but $10 cheaper. Tai Seng may be holding out on pulling some titles but I have no idea if they struck some kind of agreement with Disney or if they are pursuing things legally.

Matt

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    just to further sum the thrust of my previous posts in the context of Disney and retailers....

under Scorpio and 17 U.S.C. § 602(a) (and until the Supreme Court decides otherwise), if Disney owns a valid exclusive distribution right to a Hong Kong film, Disney can properly stop any U.S. retailer from selling DVDs imported from Hong Kong of those films.

DJ

19. Matthew Brown

I just received an E-mail from Tai Seng stating that titles such as YES MADAM and CITY ON FIRE are unavailable. This would mean that stores are just selling current inventory or they really don't have it in stock.

Matt

20. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Uh oh, I've gotten into an argument with a lawyer... Obviously, I am not, so I'll raise the white flag immediately. The only thing I have to say: