Buy This Mistubishi WS-55809?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeStrahan, Dec 12, 2002.

1. MikeStrahan

MikeStrahan Stunt Coordinator

In my part of the country, we have a liquidator who occasionally has electronics come in from other stores. The store may have gone bankrupt, may have had a fire, etc. Right now there is a Mitsubishi WS-55809. This store using a decreasing price strategy. An item may be marked off 40% from its inflated "retail" price. I.e, this Mits started at 40% off of the price of $2800. It has been recently marked to 50% off. I need your input on whether to take the $1500 (after tax) plunge.

Pros: Cheap price for such a big HD ready TV. Does not seem to show burn in on either solid blue background or with the VCR signal hooked to it.

Cons: Power cord has been cut before the plug (sloppily repaired and it powers up and displays the VCR fine). No warranty I would imagine as it's not purchased from an authorized dealer(if there is such a requirement). No remote (but I already have a pronto). No way to know if this was a display or not. Only 7 day return policy.

Thoughts?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sorry, but I'd navigate clear of this thing. The power cord was cut off before the plug? No remote? And, too, you have no idea what that thing has been doing or where it has been.

3. MikeStrahan

MikeStrahan Stunt Coordinator

It's getting to be a harder decision. The price has now dropped to about $1200 after tax. Anyone know of a way to find out the number of hours on the TV?

4. Herman S

Herman S Agent

As the saying goes, "The bitterness and pain of poor quality lasts far longer that the sweetness of a good deal."

Avoid the purchase

5. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

That is a pretty sweet tv and only one generation old. It depends on your money situation--but $1200 is a pretty good deal for that--as long as you realize that you are taking a risk. If you buy it--take it home and watch the living daylights out of it for six days==check for burn in, do the AVIA calibration, watch in all light levels, see if the colors look right, open up the back to see if it looks like it has been dropped and carefully close it.

I wouldn't necessarily take a pass on it at that price.