Buy these Polk's for $500 or can I do better?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bill**H, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo HTIB HTS-650 (almost the same as the current HTS-760), with 2 Sony SA-WM40 Subs.I think my system sounds good now, I just want better. I can pick up these Polk speakers, 4 RTi38's and a CSi40 for $500.00. Can I do better for the same amount of money? Will the Polk's be a good upgrade for my system?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Excellent speakers...and I mean excellent. Hmmm, haven't checked current prices lately, but haggle as much as you can.

3. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I can't comment on the Polks, because I've haven't heard them, but I just completed a similar upgrade. I have kept the onkyo rears for now and upgraded the front three. Speakers I listened to:

Energy C1, CC-1
    B&W 602 or 601 with cc6
    Boston CR85 with CRC or VRC
    Boston VR950 with CRC or VRC
    Infinity Entra

I was looking to spend $500-$700 for the upgrade. I really liked the VR950 but they were towers and my wife wanted something smaller. If towers are ok, I'd look for these (Tweeter had a closeout at $350/pr and may still have some). My wife, a music teacher, nixed the B&W because she claimed they had "holes" in certain frequencies. Both the Energy and Boston speakers sounded great. We went with the Boston because we have them in another system and really enjoy them.

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Are they new or used? The CSi40 retailed for $400 new and the 38's for $380/pr. Even if they're slightly used at $500 that's a good deal. FYI they have been replaced with a new RT line. IMO for the $ it will be an appreciable upgrade.

5. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Tyler,

sounds like Bill already knows about this deal, but I'll repeate it for others that may be thinking along the same lines.

Crutchfield is clearancing the RTi38s for $250/pair. When you buy more than $499 of Polk speakers, you get a $200 credit (or a Polks 202 sub if you want it). I used this deal to pick up 3 pairs of 38s for $550, including shipping.

Bill, just checked the C'field web site and CSi40s appear to be gone along with the RTi28s.

If you order from C'field, try to insist on double boxing. One of my sets shipped in its factory box and suffered cabinet damage for the trouble. The replacement pair was also shipped single boxed, but at least it survived.

Brent

6. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Brent,

Notice the words 'retailed for' (past tense) in my post. I actually picked up a pair of 38's in September for the 2 channel rig for $170 from CC.

How are you using your 3 pair?

7. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

TylerZ,

sorry, didn't catch the sublety of the past tense, only the new/used comments.

I went with the 3 pairs to get a completely matched surround setup. Since I was (sold house, haven't found new one) using front projection in a dedicated room, the 38 in the front center was planned to be oriented vertically, just a little lower than the L/R mains. Currently, I only have a 5.1 prepro, but when I eventually I upgrade to 6.1, I'll have a matching rear center channel waiting.

BTW, since I only had the Polks operational about 2 weeks before I sold the house, I ran the center 38 horizontal. At least on axis, it sounded identical to the L/R mains. I was a very happy camper for those 2 weeks.

Brent

8. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Those are great speakers at an amazing price. Get them. Only thing I would say is that if you can find the floorstanding RTi70 or even RTi150 they might make better front L/R especially if you like stereo music. Otherwise, great deal. I picked up a pair of RTi150s recently for $550/pr and liked them so much I got the CSi30 center to match (from Crutchfield for $150). Great speakers and well matched, you will love them.

9. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

That is an awesome deal on excellent speakers. I wouldn't hesitate.

- Jack

10. Bill**H

Well I'm picking them up on Friday, a CSi40 and 4 RTi38's.

Now one more question. If I want to go 6.1 what speaker do I want for the rear? Should I get a CSi30 if they have one? If not what?

I'm guessing the Polk's will play as loud as my Onkyo speakers brcause they have better sensitivity numbers all the way around. 3 DB more on the fronts, 6 DB on the center and 6 DB on the back. That's 24 total DB better than the Onkyo's for all 5 speakers.

Bill

11. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

I would get another pair of rti38s and use those as duel rears, OR you could put a pair of Polk fxi50 dipole/bipoles on the sides and move a pair of rti38s to the back. If you only want 1 rear speaker use another rti38, or even 1 fxi50 dipole/bipole.

- Jack

12. JohnMcCallum

JohnMcCallum Extra

Would it be better to with go with 4 rti38's, or with 2 rti38's for L/R, and 2 fxi30's for the surrounds, movie watching in mind?

13. Bill**H

John, Yep, movies 80% of the time. The room is 11' 3" by 33' long with the dinning room in the back (11' of the 33'). My rear speakers are into the dinning room about 21" on stands next to the side walls. If I go 6.1 I can put the rear center on top of the china cabinet. There is no room to mount the rear speakers beside the seating. There are little walls (for lack of a better word), between the dinning room and living room that stick out from the side walls about 8" and come down from the ceiling about 1 foot. The seating is about 1 foot in front of the little walls making the rear speakers about 3 feet behind me.

The room can be totally closed off as I installed two doors. The TV and front speakers are about 6 feet away from the front 11' 3" wall.

Bill

14. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

I myself use Polk bipoles on the sides (fxi30) with rti28s in the rear, and L/R. For your setup (rti38s) I'd say use the fxi50 because it is a better match for yours (having the same size drivers).

- Jack