What's new

Buy Sony 900V or wait for 755V (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally have an answer to my questions, and I have made a DVD/SACD player purchase. I located a local Sound Advice that had both the 900V and the 755V, even though one of the salesman had told me that they don't have the 900V in stock when I later found out that they did. I spent some time comparing video and a lot of time comparing the audio.
As far as the video goes I did't see a significant difference in either of them. The salesman that I dealt with was one that I knew from before and is very knowledgeable (I've dealt with enough to know). He told me that neither of the tv's connected where of high quality and finding a difference would be harder. I found both pictures to look very good. I'll admit that I didn't spend a lot of time comparing or looking for "chroma bug" because my main concern was audible differences.
I then spent time listening to the 900V with Cd's switching the digital filter between "sharp" and "slow". I noticed that the sound was a little less bright with the filter on slow. I found this as a bonus because some of my cd's sound harsh in my listening room and this may help that. I then listened to the 755V on it's own and it seemed to sound as good. This was until I had the salesman A/B them. When he played them back to back with the same receiver and mirage speakers(similar to mine) the difference between the two became very apparent. The 755V sounded noticeably flatter with less life to it. When listening to classical the difference was even more noticeable. I was very unimpressed with the 755V playing Cd's. I then played a SACD on each and my first impression was "WOW" I can't believe how good SACD sounds. I had read many good reviews but had never heard SACD for myself. I can only hope that it will sound as good on my system. Anyway I was impressed with the SACD on both. I found the 900V to be better with SACD as well, but the difference was not as noticeable as with Cd playback.
My decision was then very easy to make. I told the salesman about the $550 price for the 900V at onecall.com and the 5 free DVD's and asked him if he could come close to the price because I wanted to give him my business. He stated that he couldn't drop the $700 price of the floor model enough to make it worth my while. He went on to say that he couldn't get hold of a new one because they where discontinued, and that I should just go with onecall because it was a great deal. I called onecall that night and they told me that I bought the last one. They said that they have 4 more on order but didn't get conformation that they would be shipped.
So I'm now waiting for my 900V. With the DVD player purchase out of the way I decided to finally upgrade my Pro-logic Yamaha, so I bought the Marantz 8200 from Accessories 4 less. I hope that I'm happy with both units when they arrive. I appreciate the help that everyone on this forum gave me in making my selections, now I just need to contain my excitement until their both connected!:D

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Congratulations on the purchase Matt. I suspected that would be your verdict.
I'm now wondering if your 755 is basically our 905 since down here, the 905 will be just over half the price of the 900. The front looks different but the back is almost identical (the 905 just lacks the prog scan switch).

Stephen_E

Grip
MAN!! Of all the threads i have read on these boards, i enjoy reading reviews comparing high end to low end and different models of a given company's products the most..

To Matt and Keith.. thank you, you helped me in a quest for knowledge pertaining directly to the 900v and related units i've been looking for, for quite some time.

Woot, Thanks!

( btw, i dont know if you've received your products yet, but Congratulations on what this lowly HT nut would exclaim as a helluva nice setup! btw, i noticed on my sony 900v [while it was under my review] that the video off mode DID make a signicicant difference even in cds.. albiet i tested the best cds i had and sacd? omg.... well, you'll fall in love.. the miles davis track on the test cd is *exquisite* )

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

Congratulations on the purchase. Please give us a report once you put the 'NS900V through its paces.

I am not surprised that you found the 'NS900V to be better than the 'NS755V on the audio side. The 'NS500V, which preceded the 'NS755V, is nothing special with CDs and SACDs, especially CDs. Furthermore, I am not surprised that you found a bigger difference between the 'NS755V and 'NS900V with CDs. That matches my experiences in comparing ES and non-ES SACD players.

Stephen,

No problem. Glad I was able to help.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
MattCPT,
Just in case you need something to read about the 900V while you wait for yours.
The Perfect Vision
Several other good review showings online.
I have had the 900V for some time and I think it's a great little non-ES gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks