What's new

Buy Sony 900V or wait for 755V (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting to buy a DVD/SACD player for some time now. I have never owned a DVD player except for the one with my computer. I have narrowed my selection down to the Sony 900V $550 and the Sony 755V $270. I'm torn between the two because I can't compare them before I buy. The 755V isn't even out yet, and the release date has already been pushed off. The 900V isn't at any of my local stores, but I read excellent things about it hear and other sites. I'm wondering if the 755V would sound better than the 900V because it has a 24bit/192kHz audio D/A. It also appears to have a better video D/A. However the 900V has quality construction and the ability to turn off the video for "better sound". The 900V is also currently available and seems to have good things said about it. I'm not very concerned about price because I'm willing to pay for better quality.

What I'd like to know is if anyone thinks that the 755V will sound better. I believe that I have heard people say that the 24bit/192kHz D/A doesn't always help the sound and requires better source material (that doesn't even exist) for and audible difference.

Knowing that these are my choices and that I have been waiting for some time to buy a DVD/SACD player is it worth waiting for the 755V and then waiting even longer for the reviews before I go ahead and buy the 900V?

Can anyone verify that the "video off" feature makes a difference, because the 755V doesn't seem to have it, and that would sway me to buy the 900V.

Also, some of my urgency is probably due to the fact that I have made my decision to buy the Denon 3802 and will do so tomorrow if 6ave is still offering the $699. Since it will be replacing my Pro-logic Yamaha I'm a little anxious to take advantage of the DD and SACD.

Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to add that I'm using a 27 inch Panasonic Superflat tv with S-video input, so as long as the picture quality is good I'll be happy. I'm hoping for very good to excellent SACD and cd sound.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I would expect the 'NS900V to be the better audio component with SACDs and CDs. Let me say that I am making this assumption based on price. The 'NS900V, though not an ES component, is close. It is definitely a better audio component than Sony's mass-market players that you see at Best Buy and Circuit City. For example, the 'NS900V is a better audio component than the 'NS500V. Just my opinion on the matter.

The 'NS755V may have state-of-the-art DACs relative to the 'NS900V, but that is just one factor to consider in determining sound quality. Power supply, build quality (chassis, transport), analog output stage, DAC, etc. influence sound quality. The 'NS900V should be better in most every respect relative to the 'NS755V. I could be wrong, however, as I haven't heard the 'NS755V yet. Still, it would surprise me if the $300 'NS755V outperformed the once-$1000 'NS900V.

As for video performance, I feel that is a tougher call. I don't know if Sony made any major changes in the video section in moving to the 'NS755V. It seems that progressive-scan picture quality changes rather quickly (i.e., from one generation to the next).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player has a "video off" feature, and I have never found it to make a difference. This includes playback of stereo DVD-Audio tracks on my better stereo system, which I consider quite revealing. Likewise, I have never found that turning off the display on a player makes a difference. Just relaying my experiences.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My experience mirrors Keith's!
I personally find that "feature" dubious at best.
I also think that the 900v is a better machine,but don't know if it's worth twice the price though.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
SACD playback uses DSDs instead of DACs (well I would hope it does) to convert from the bitstream to analog output. The 755V's 24bit/192kHz audio DAC would only be used for CD playback unless you also use the inbuilt dts and DD decoders for normal DVD play rather than your receiver's decoders.

Actually, if you use the player's decoders and your prologic receiver has 5.1 inputs, then you don't need to change your receiver if you are happy with its sound.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, DSD stands for Direct Stream Digital. DSD is the encoding scheme used for SACD, just as PCM is the encoding scheme used for CD and DVD-Audio. Therefore, DSD does not stand for a device that converts digital to analog for SACD. SACD uses DACs, but those DACs need to be able to decode a DSD bitstream to achieve the full benefit of SACD. Some DACs available now can decode both PCM and DSD, and I suspect the DAC used in the Sony 'NS755V is such a DAC. One way or the other, the 'NS755V has a DSD DAC. I doubt it has separate DSD and PCM DACs for playback of SACDs and CDs, respectively. In any event, the 'NS755V has a 24/192 PCM DAC, and I suspect this DAC also decodes a DSD bitstream for SACD playback.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Yes but the fact that the 755's DAC is 192/24 for PCM has nothing to do with it's SACD capability. Even if it is the same DAC, that spec is irrelevant for DSD decoding. For all intents and purposes, it might as well be a separate device - that was my point.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,
Thanks for your suggestion, but my receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs. I have also decided to hold on the 3802 because of the sudden wave of reliability issues that have come up. I'm looking at the Marantz as a possibility if the sound is as good as the Denon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I never said that the 24/192 capability in the DAC has anything to do with SACD. However, you first post implied that SACD does not use a DAC, when, in fact, it does. It just uses a DSD DAC, not a PCM DAC. My point was that DSD is not the device used by SACD for digital-to-analog conversion, as your post implied. A 24/192 PCM DAC could also have the capability of decoding a DSD bitstream.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, to further illustrate the point, it is interesting to note the following statement on Crutchfield's web site regarding the 'NS900V:

3 Super Audio DACs (192kHz/24-bit)
Have no fear. The 'NS900V does not convert DSD to PCM.

Keith M.

Second Unit
I have the NS900V matched w/ a 3802 and the 9000ES matched with a 5800.

I would highly recommend the 900V to anyone considering a top-notch audio and video source. The SACD playback is exceptional with video off and fed through the 3802's 5 EXT. inputs. The clearity cannot be described in words. I have owned every flagship dvd player from Sony since the legendary 7000 and must say the progressive output of the 900V is exceptional, and very close to the 9000es. I believe the 3802 and NS900V are a perfect match.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Kieth M.,
Did you compare the 900V to the 500V or one of the lower priced Sony SACD. I only ask because I read an article today in Absolute Sound and the reviewer said that he felt the 9000ES was superior in sound quality to the 900V. That isn't surprising in itself, but he went on to say that the 900V sounded very much like the 500V but cost 3 times as much. He concluded that the 500V was a better buy. Now that the 755V is out I'm really torn between the price/features of the 755V vs. the possible sound improvements of the 900V.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I have not compared the 'NS500V to the 'NS900V, or at least I don't think I have. I've listened to Sony's SACD players on many occasions, but that is one comparison I don't recall doing. :) Anyway, the abso!ute sound has really been pushing the budget Sony SACD players hard lately. I think they have been overdoing it a bit. In the current issue, they have a review of the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. You can read the review on their web site. Anyway, the reviewer preferred the sound of the Sony SCD-CE775 to the '47A overall. That surprised me. I have not heard the '47A, but the reviewer's comments still surprised me.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
A 24/192 PCM DAC could also have the capability of decoding a DSD bitstream.
Not inherently - the 24/192 PCM DACs found in cheaper DVD-A players and upmarket receivers are unlikely to decode DSD. Some of the newer DACs that decode 24/192 PCM will also decode DSD but that is a specific feature of these chipsets (the new Wolfson is one that does).

Let's stop pissing on each other's shoes - we've both made valid points.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, re-read the passage you just quoted. I said "could"! Of course a 24/192 PCM DAC will not inherently decode DSD. That's not what I was saying.

Yes, let's leave this one alone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks