Buy & Not Watch?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Josh_HI, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

Have you ever bought a dvd set and then not watch it.Like you buy it just to have it but you don't watch it because it just aired and you don't feel like seeing it again?I think I am going to do this with:

The Apprentice
    Alias Season 3 (I really don't wanna remember Lauren)
    Survivor All Stars (Maybe just watch the commentaries)

Anyway has anyone ever done that?

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i bought the first, third, and fifth seasons of Buffy the day they streeted and they sat on the shelf gathering dust until i finally started to dip into all of them early this year.
    i was just about at the point where i was seriously considering selling them off and wondering why i felt the need to have to own them in the first place, when i got into the habit of watching them and just startd to burn thru the sets.

tv shows in my collection tend to sit around for a long time not getting play until i get into the habit of watching it again, and then its like eating potato chips- i tend to go thru the whole bag in as few sittings as possible.

3. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

PURE DUMB. A COWORKER OF MINE DOES THAT. HE BUYS THEM, DOESN'T EVEN AT LEAST OPEN THEM TO CHECK THE DISC TO SEE IF ANY SCRATCHES,(IF BOUGHT NEW)
    I HAVE A FEW BUT AT LEAST I OPEN THEM TO CHECK IF ANY DAMAGE.

4. JamieF

JamieF Auditioning

My budget for DVD's is probably not as large as everyone else's around here so I can't imagine doing this. I buy mostly old shows anyway (Dukes of Hazzard, Three's Company) that I look forward to watching.

It seems mighty wasteful to do this, but then again, I'm kind of new to the whole DVD on TV craze, so everyone's different.

I can't see myself ever buying a DVD set and not watching it. Kinda defeats the purpose, if you ask me.[​IMG]

Very interesting topic.

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I bought all the HB sets except Johnny Quest, and haven't finished any of them.

6. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I don't know if any of us do it intentionally. It's one of those, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" things.

7. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I've watched all of the dvd sets that I have purchased, but I did wait about a month before watching ALIAS 1.

8. Roman-K

Roman-K Stunt Coordinator

King of the hill s1, bought it for $19.99, but have not watched it. It's not that good.

9. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I picked up Seasons 2 and 3 of The Simpsons when FYE had the big sale earlier this summer but still have not watched them; I have seen most of the episodes on TV already though and I could not pass up the $14.99 price tag!

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I can't see buying anything unless I can watch it within a month - if for nothing else, then returning it if it is bad.

I know there are members here with unwrapped movies sitting on their shelves. Even if you have kept the receipt for it, what happens if it is OOP when you discover a huge scratch on it?

I can hear the sales person now. "Ok, let me get this straight. You brought this two years ago and you say that you just opened it up and it has a scratch on it so you want another? Am I on Candid Camera?

Glenn

11. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, I just watched part of All In The Family: Season 2 last week. I had this release for a yr but I just started to watch it last week.

Mad About You: Season 2, purchased last yr but I haven't watched it yet.

Friends: Season 2, purchased last yr. I watched the first disc last yr but I haven't watched the other discs yet.

12. LeonaB

LeonaB Stunt Coordinator

I've got that darn collector gene, so I need to have certain shows on DVD, even if I don't plan to watch for a while.

13. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

I do make myself watch them, if I don't really feel like really watching them I use them as background noise. I do this so I can make sure that every part of the set works.

14. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I have quite a few TV show sets that I haven't watched yet. I fully intend to watch them all eventually. I would never buy a set if I knew I wasn't going to watch it. Seems like a big waste of money to me.

15. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Blind materialism! What a gas. [​IMG]

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The only TV set I've bought but haven't watched is The Osbournes S1. I have no idea why I ever bought it, and I've been trying to sell it for over a year.

Of course, I don't always get around to watching some of my movies quickly...but in general they are much cheaper than TV sets. It usually takes me about 4-7 days to get through a season of TV (I don't sleep much [​IMG]), so I usually start watching sets right when I get them.

17. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

This really is a psychologically interesting subject, and I'm glad I'm not alone in my home entertainment procrastination.

There's something about my character that makes me want to finish off a DVD--extras, commentaries and all-- in one sitting. Since my morning radio gig requires an early bedtime, I rarely view DVDs on weeknights...but on weekends, it's open season. However, when I DO get time to watch my DVD purchases I tend to want to watch the most recent additions to the library first. This explains the titles that occasionally sit on the shelf for a few months.

Doc

18. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    When it comes to TV on DVD... I watch them all wiothin a month of buying them. Even if the season just aired on TV.but then again... unlike allot of pple.. I don't mind watching reruns right away if I enjoy the show.

Now movies... that is a diffrent story... I have movies I boughty like 3 or 4 years ago and haven't watched yet. Not that I am sorry I bought them... just that I need to be in the mood and by the time I am I usually have bought something else I would rather watch first... but I will catch up one of these days!:p)

19. Steve Meil

Steve Meil Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Dark Shadows

I have been buying all the sets on the release date. I am still about 4 sets behind due to all the other DVD's that I have to watch. It seems that the newer shows that come out (CSI, Alias, Star Trek (All Versions), Millenium, etc I watch within a 2 week period. Some of the older shows like the 1st season of Outer limits, Lost in Space, I still haven't got through the complete sets. Alot of older shows from the 60's & 70's just don't seem to hold my interest as they once did so now I really have to take a look at wht I'm buying and ask if I really want them.

20. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

24 Season 2. Got when it first came out and I had watched it as it aired earlier that year. Felt it was too fresh to watch. However, I plan to re-watch Season 1 and then Season 2 this fall, before I Season 3 DVD comes out, which I will buy. I did not watch Season 3 as it aired, so I'll be watching that right away.

Babylon 5 Seasons - except for a sparodic episode here and there, to make sure some floater discs were OK I have not watched this. But I am holding it for the year when there are none or only a very little number of series shows on TV that I watch. Then I will probably watch one a night, on each night I am not watching a movie or something else.