1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Buy new TV or A/V receiver first ?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jim517, Jul 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Or does it really matter ? I plan to upgrade my TV and receiver in the next few months, and was wondering which to do first.

I'm waiting for the new TCL 4k 8 series to come out.

Thanks.

2. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Can you let us know what receiver you currently have? That’ll help with a more complete answer. I’m far from the best expert on the audio side but I think those who know their stuff will be asking you that first.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I love a bargain, so I tend to look at models of a product, narrow down ones I'm interested in, then wait for a replacement model to come out, so I can get a closeout deal on the previous model. I think the main deals on receivers right now are the Denon X3500 and the Marantz SR5013 & SR6013.

Today and tomorrow, Best Buy has some Vizio M-Series and P-Series deals going on. Look into them and see what appeals to you.

Do you have any specific plans/dreams of what you want to improve?

5. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Ditto. I could have written the same paragraph, John. I guess that's why we share some of the same hardware. :)

Exactly. A little more detail will go a long way here. I'm no expert either but, generally, I subscribe to the weakest link theory. What would you identify as the weakest like between your current system and your enjoyment of said system. Start there and then consider @JohnRice 's advice concerning deals. If a better deal exists at a specific moment then I grab it and worry about the weakest link when a suitable deal arises for it.

6. JohnRice

John
    I wish I could say that thinking like me was a good sign. :eek:

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    As everyone is saying: it depends. What do you have, what do you lack, and what do you care about?

And if your hardware is old enough that it doesn’t support 4K HDR at all, you might need to upgrade everything at once to benefit from upgrading anything.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    My receiver works fine, but it's outdated, and doesn't even have HDMI. I want to buy a 4k receiver also. Like I said above, I'm going to buy a 4k TV also. I'm not asking for specific model recommendations at this time. I probably should have phrased my original post differently. I just want to make sure the TV and receiver's features and inputs, etc. are compatible with each other. I thought about upgrading the receiver before the TV(since the new T model isn't out yet).

9. JohnRice

John
    Anything current should be. Some bottom of the line model receivers might have some limitations. There's been a lot of changes recently, especially to hdmi capabilities, so it's hard to figure it all out. You also have to be sure you get sufficient hdmi cables. The safe way is to just go with Monoprice high-speed certified, 18Gb ones, which are pretty affordable.

10. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks. I am very familiar with Monoprice.

Since I don't have a 4k TV yet, I may as well wait until I buy one first, then buy the receiver.